OC'ing and cooling the PIII(Coppermine)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The DOS Machine

Greetings:

First, I would like to ask if overclocking the PIII(Coppermine) is possible. I heard that the Coppermines have bus frequency and clock multiplier selections hardwired inside the processor. Does that not mean that OC'ing the processor is impossible?

Second, however, is my primary reason for this thread:

I am seriously considering upgrading my 700MHz PIII(SECC2,Slot 1,100MHz bus) to the 1GHz PIII(SECC2,Slot 1,100MHz bus). However, I believe my current processor already runs hotter than it should, even though it was the boxed version. I will try to increase the airflow inside my case when I install my new video card, but I don't think it will help much. This is why I would like to ask you about installing better cooling devices on the OEM version of the 1GHz PIII.

I have NEVER installed a heatsink or fan on a CPU or GPU before. I know that people do it themselves so that they can have better cooling for their OC'ed processors, but I will probably NOT be OC'ing the processors in my SGC. I have heard of horror stories where a slightly misaligned heatsink can allow the processor to burn itself up. That is a very good reason why I have never done it myself before, but I need to learn how to do this for my current and future SGCs.

So I ask: HOW do I properly install a heatsink/fan combination on slot and socket processors? I would really like to install a nifty heatsink/fan combo on my 1GHz Slot 1 PIII like those Golden Orb ones!

BTW: I realize that OEM processors have little or no warranties and that I must use thermal compounds and clips to secure the heatsink.

THANK YOU!

-DOSMAN

the 700 your currently running is the best overclocker of them all.

Starting with the 600 coppermine which is almost a lock to hit 800
A lot of 700 coppermines will hit a gig.

the higher up in speed of the processor the less likely the overclocking. As the speed goes up so does the default temp and voltage. My 850 won't run on a 133 bus but my 600 would run on it no problem, or higher if I pushed it.

I use retail fans as I don't really like messing with the add on's.

Overclocking results

Pentium III 1000 Results....

Total Entries in Database for Pentium III 1000 - 58
Average overclocked speed - 1172 Mhz
117 average front side bus

Pentium III 700 Results....

Total Entries in Database for Pentium III 700 - 666
Average overclocked speed - 955 Mhz
136 average front side bus

all intel chips since the pII 350 have the multiplier locked, not the front side bus. But you need a motherboard that supports changing the front side bus. A lot don't.

links

http://www.2cooltek.com/
http://www.3dcool.com/
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/

As a second thought, will your motherboard support a 1 gig, you need to have a 10 multiplier, I don't, that's why I ended up with an 850.

mmmmkay forget that, your mobo supports up to a gig

The DOS Machine

Well that would be fun BrianF, but my mobo is already set on its maximum bus speed(100MHz), so I probably can't OC.

However, I may want to install a Golden Orb on the 1GHz PIII when I buy it, so I would really like some suggestions on internet sources where I can find a guide to installing my own HS/F. Also, any suggestions anyone might want to give me would be welcome!

Thanks!

-DOSMAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online