1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OCing Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmcsierra99, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i got a Intel Pentium 4 in my GX240, it was running at around 1794MHZ, now i got it 2 1799MHZ, with help from SpeedFan :) , but now it says "Unable to read current clock."? and i cant get it passed 1799? why is this?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

At the risk of looking ignorant, I will ask what is the rated speed of your processor?

3. gmcsierra99

1800mhz, 1.8ghz.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I will admit I don't know anything about overclocking; but, I will tell you that you may be exceeding the intended speed of the processor. Intel and others frequently round up numbers. For instance, you may have a processor that was intended to run at 1794 MHz and for advertisement purposes, they round the number to 1800.

It's funny they never round it down. It's the same when advertising drive space. I don't think I've ever seen a hard disk advertised accurately.

Perhaps someone who knows about overclocking will happen along.

I know that over the years of internet surfing I have run across forums that offer extensive support for that. Perhaps a Google search would be helpful in finding one.

5. gmcsierra99

ooo, alright, i only boosted about 4MHZ, i cant get over 1799.84MHZ.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Speedfan is not the ideal way to overclock. And overclocking brings a risk of heat, damage, and stability issues.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Also, data corruption possibilities.

The way I understand it, overclocking is a thing most people do for fun and hobby. It is not to gain speed. The speed gain weighed against other inconveniences and risks just isn't worth it.

As a rule of thumb and all other things being equal, unless one is doubling processor speed, the gain is not noticable.

8. gmcsierra99

TRiple, you didnt OC yuor computer?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have a dell. Your overclocking options are just about nonexistent.

Overclocking [if you do use it] is for high end systems with options in the bios to make adjustments; NOT for a dell.

10. Jones

Jones

The ability to overclock successfully depends heavily on the motherboard, and as crjdriver mentioned, Dells stink at overclocking. Mainly because of the proprietary components they use and the limitations they put into the BIOS.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I do, but I can take the time to thoroughly test the O/C and I can afford to replace my parts. Dell's don't overclock very well, for one they have no settings in the BIOS to do so and Software generators work poorly in my opinion.

12. KingCody

KingCody

the main reason that dells and other OEM boxed computers can't overclock is because they lack the ability to lock the PCI/AGP/PCIe bus at it's default speed. without it, you can't overclock the processor without overclocking the rest of the computer as well. while the processor can likely handle a significant overclock, your other components cannot.

software based overclocking utilities are pretty much useless because you can't lock the bus, and you can't lower the memory speed.

boxed PC makers like Dell will never give you the ability to overclock, because they want you to spend more money if you need a faster PC.

you get an "A" for effort :D, but 4MHz is not an overclock (a significant overclock is more like 400MHz or more). unfortunetly, 4MHz is probably the most you can get from a Dell.

cheers :)

13. gmcsierra99

yeah lol, well i got a Dell 2 OC 4MHZ lol.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not uncommon to speed the frequency of the processor change all by itslef a few digits, the clock generators aren't 100% perfect.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice