1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OCR Aware window, what to do!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lilart, Apr 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

After solving my Internet Explorer upgrade problem (see post 4-22-01), an "OCR Aware" window boots up with my desktop. It is a large window with 2 square smaller windows. One window is titled Unregistered Applicatons and has "STI Monitor" listed in its box. The other small window is titled Registered Applications and has "Microsoft Word" listed in that box. The buttons on the right are "OK", "Cancel", "Help", and "Register Office 97". A check box is there to "Enable OCR Aware". I would like to get rid of this in a safe way. What is OCR Aware? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, lilart

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You have a scanner?

3. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Yes, I have a scanner--a UMAX AstraNET e3470. lilart

4. ~Candy~

Ok, the message is just asking you if you'd like to register (only meaning have the scanner acknowledge scanning capabilities into word) for the ocr program, maybe you have omnipage pro or lite as well. Just click register, and all should be well.

BTW, ocr is optical character recognition, in case you want to scan a document into word and have it recognized without retyping the whole thing.

[Edited by AcaCandy on 04-29-2001 at 05:42 PM]

5. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

I registered Office 97 as you suggested. The OCR Aware window still appears with my desktop. There is the a very small box for checking to "Enable OCR Aware". Would that help? I don't want to do anything to confuse my computer, but need some other idea to get rid of the pesky thing. Thanks, lilart

6. ~Candy~

You can try that, it's not going to hurt anything. Does it just start with windows and then minimize, or is it always open?

If you find that you don't want it starting at all, just do this:

start button, type msconfig, then hit ok, go to the start up tab and uncheck whatever refers to the ocr aware, probably omnipage.

P.S. On mine, I always keep it unchecked (in the msconfig) until I need it, as it does take up some resources.

[Edited by AcaCandy on 04-29-2001 at 08:18 PM]

7. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Wish I could say it worked, but it didn't. I unchecked one box next to an OCRAware file and there was OCR box that was already unchecked. I restarted my computer, the window came up as usual. I went back to msconfig in Run and the box was checked as it was originally. I unchecked it again and restarted my computer again. Same result, the window appeared again. Any other suggestion will be appreciated, but I'm shutting down for the night. Thanks, lilart

8. shekerra

shekerra

From Word:
    Go to tools menu - templates and addins and remove the OCR addin.

>She

Another thought:
    go to Start | run | and type regedit
    When in regedit click once on 'my computer' and select file - export and export your registry to a backup folder.

Now navigate to:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    Look for the register/reminders that refer to what you listed in your question above. Also there are other run service keys beneath RUN that you may want to look through. If you find a key that lists the above click once on the key and select file - export (again to a backup folder) - then click in the right pane on the offending string value and delete it.
    Close out of registry and go to File | find
    type startup
    Look through all of the startup folders and see if you have any reference to the above. If you do simply delete it.
    Now reboot.

[Edited by shekerra on 04-30-2001 at 12:12 AM]

9. ~Candy~

Hi, She, quick question, I still have that add-in installed in my word, and it doesn't start up each time.....am I missing something?

10. shekerra

shekerra

Aca which addin?

[Edited by shekerra on 04-30-2001 at 12:19 AM]

11. ~Candy~

aware97.dot

12. shekerra

shekerra

Aca -
    If you want that back just place it in your startup folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
    or you should be able to add it via tools | addins

13. ~Candy~

I think you missed my point. Lilart is having a problem everytime the computer starts, the ocr aware pops up, by disabling mine in the msconfig, that stops it from running in the background all the time on mine, without me having to remove the add-in from Word.

14. shekerra

shekerra

Aca - I guess I did miss your point! Sorry.
    Lilart perchance are you using Act!

15. lilart

lilart Thread Starter

Your fellas really have me confused, but then I get confused easily. What is "ACT"? I don't think I am using it? I'll try to find it and let you know. lilart

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice