1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OCR handwriting software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by marvincowles, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marvincowles

marvincowles Thread Starter

Is software available to convert a scanned page of handwriting to a printed page for (e.g.) MS Word? I would like to convert an archive of old handwritten letters to typewritten documents. Can someone point me in the direction of reasonably priced software which will do this? I already have a scanner.

Thanks...
    Marv

2. colmaca

colmaca

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What you seek is the "Holy Grail" of OCR (optical character recognition) software.

At this time I don't think there is any such readily available software for "cursive" handwriting.

Its in the "almost impossible" category, as each character is never quite the same in handwriting. Much research has been carried out, but I know of no product that will work today for the type of document you want . Some NHR (Natural Handwriting Recognition) software is in pre-release, but I would not expect to see it working with old script type text foer many years, and then there is the development cost to recover...

http://www.wave-report.com/other-html-files/parascript-nhr.htm

4. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

The term "Holy Grail of OCR software" would be about right.

Your best option would be to scan the documents and then print them as as PDF files. Saving the PDF files on your computer.

With the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can add individual pages to make one PDF file from a series of single pages.

The freeware and shareware PDF file creation programs may also be able to do this. Some scanners also come with PDF file creation software.

hth

Ceri

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

FWIW …
    I hear that the post office has this software for reading addresses.
    But its dictionary is probably confined to towns, states and zips.

Maybe that’s why I’ve been permanently moved to Florida twice this year without my knowledge.
    Talk about a software hassle.

I've been thinking about a Speak n Spell program for this application.
    I've used a Read n Speak program for proof reading.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401807