1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ODBC DSN Setup Hangs On DB Authentication

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by swaters, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

I'm trying to setup a DSN on a Windows 98 machine. I go throught the entire process successfully until I get to the Database Authentication part of the wizard. The data source is an SQL Server database. I select "With SQL Server Authentication", then I go into the Client Configuration and set it as TCP/IP, then I set the login as the system administrator. When I click next, it hangs and doesn't come back. The user wasn't in so I let it go for about an hour, and when I came back, it was still not responding. I did this exact same procedure on 5 other similar machines the same day and had no problems. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

sometimes if i run into (not responding) tasks, a restart solves it, but if you've tried that, and still nothing, i would say there's some default setting that you're missing somewhere.
    if you ctrl alt delete and look at task manager, what proccesses are running at the same time as the (not responding) one?
    sometimes closing unnecessary tasks can help also.

3. swaters

swaters Thread Starter

There are no out of the ordinary tasks running. I even tried closing out everything except what I needed and it still didn't work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice