1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd crashes/resets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rushx85, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rushx85

rushx85 Thread Starter

i'm running winxp and for some reason it has been resetting or completely freezing up randomly for the most part. I play counter-strike and it seems to do it more when i'm just connecting to a game, or sometimes when i'm playing. It also reset a few times when my comp was just sitting idle while i was watching tv. I posted in the hardware area because i think it has to do with cooling. I took of my side panel and put a desk fan there to cool stuff down and see how well that worked. Worked pretty well for a while. I dont crash nearly as much as i did when i didn't have the case apart, but it still happens. It may have to do with cs or something too, but i'm leaning towards cooling although i'm not positive.

sys specs:
    win xp sp1
    amd athlon xp 2200+
    gf2 ultra
    sb audigy gamer
    WD 40 gig hard drive
    512 ram (can't remember brand name)
    worth mentioning i thought, i have a bluetooth intellimouse but i doubt that would cause resets/freezes

I dont remember it doing this when i was on 98se but it may have done it, but i know it didn't do it nearly as much.
    I had a power surge and a few things got fried and i replaced em thats when i really started noticing it. All my fans are working though. The only things i had to replace cuz they no longer worked was the power supply, cpu fan, and hard drive. I had a friend who works on comps and he said thats all i needed to replace because thats all that seemed to be damaged. Any help would be appreciated. If you need any further info on system just post.
    Thanks

PS: I just wanna mainly know if its cooling/hardware/software or something else that needs fixed.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

Try cleaning the fans if their dusty. If you have any open slot covers on the back of the pc, this will cause overheating. You could also buy fans that insert into an unused slot for extra cooling, about 10 to 25 bucks. This also sounds like it could be the power supply, but you installed a new one right?

3. plschwartz

plschwartz

you might want to look at this article on mislabelled PS
    http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html
    I had a problem and got this answer from crjdriver:
    With ps [as with most things] quality is more important than just wattage. Use only good quality ps such as Antec, Enermax, Enlight. Enlight is my favorite; I have built many computers with Enlight ps and never had a problem. They are relatively inexpensive. Here is a link to a 420W for $46.00 and free shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...rtby=14&order=1
    Check your ps and see if you can determine who the manufacturer is. If it is made by Deer, Austin, or FoxConn get rid of it. They are prone to problems.

4. rushx85

rushx85 Thread Starter

its an antec.
    i'm gonna go pick up some thermal paste for my processor and a thermal strip or whatever for my RAM, but i'm starting to think its in my motherboard. It doesn't make sense for a processor to overheat after its been on for around 4 hours when it has not got any hot from the 1hour mark to the 4 hour mark. Running at a steady 101F-104F temp. I mentioned i had a surge that got through my surge protector and fried my blue tooth intellimouse (it basically stopped working after i rebooted from the power outage) which i went to bestbuy and had replaced with np at all. I thought everything was working fine but now that i think back accurately, these problems did start shortly after the surge. Does anyone know if a processor could go partially bad from a surge and be very heat tolerant or something? I'm pretty sure stuff on a motherboard can go bad and only act up once in a while like a capassitor overheating every 4 hours or so, dunno. Plz gimme some suggestions

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice