1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Writenow, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

When I click on this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner folder from Windows Explorer, I get this message:

Internet Connection Error:
    Your request cannot be completed because the service could not be found or did not respond. The service
    might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your network settings.

The folder opens and then the message pops up. I wasn't trying to get on the internet, only open the folder. This first happened a few days, maybe a week ago. I just closed down the box and went about my business. This a.m. I was cleaning out temporary Internet files - only a very few of them to clean up since I switched to Opera. I didn't delete anything essential. I have no problem getting on the internet. In fact, I have no problem at all except the odd popup box. No events show up in the Event Viewer.
    :confused:
    Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Writenow

If you check the Properties of that folder, is it set to be shared?

3. Writenow

Writenow Thread Starter

Sorry it took so long to reply. Lots to do. Xmas 'n all. :)

In answer to your question. No, it is not set to be shared.

Oddly, right now I can click on the folder and it isn't giving me the message. Still, it has been here twice now and will surely return. AND, I just now had trouble deleting a file from the Recycle Bin. Kept getting a message saying it was being used by someone else.

This computer is not set up for a network. It's a standalone system.

Anyway, thanks for answering.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice