1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd internet connectivity problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Smack1, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smack1

Smack1 Thread Starter

This problem is strange and kind of involved problem.

Last weekend (18th & 19th) we migrated our network WIN2K. In the process we migrated our web site to a new 2K box along wit a small FTP site both of which we use windows authentification for the users of the site. We discontinued use of SSL on the site also. Most everything went smooth. The site is used basically used for our remote users (about 200). These users are spread out over the South Eastern United States. The long and short of the problem is that 7 users in different areas can hardly connect to the site. This varies from user to user. Some can connect and authenticate and load it but it is very slow. One never gets a login box. They connect either by dial up or DSL. It is almost like the request never make it back and forth. My ISP (Worldcom, T1) tell me we aren't experiencing any packet loss or latency.

The seven users are not experiencing any problems with FTP. All other users have no problems connecting to either site.

These users use their own ISP for their internet connection some are mom & pop ISPs and one is Bellsouth DSL. I have contacted one of the small ISPs to see if they were experiencing any problems. They weren't much help.

BTW the did start be for this weekend 'Slammer' Worm problem. We were unaffected by this problem internally.

I'm sure I left some details out but that is the bulk of it. I will be glad to give more details. At this point I am not sure how to resolve this one. The Info we share with our users is very important and time sensitive. They are getting irritated by the loss of service.:mad:

Thanks in Advance!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What is the service you are offering and what is the commonality for the users that are having trouble connecting? Did the problem only occur after the upgrade to Win2K servers? If it did I would suspect something like the DNS and Active directory casuing your problems. Check all of the event logs while they are attempting to connect and have them test the route to your servers from their connection to see where the hang up is.

3. Smack1

Smack1 Thread Starter

Basically, it is pricing information via the web site. Most of it is static HTML. There is some Java script. We use ColdFusion MX server, but none of these pages are called until you get further into the site. It all uses port 80.

I have had them do the trace routes. There is no common route among all of them. In 2 cases there are 2 users that use the same ISP and they get identical traces. None of them time out due to speed, in fact speed looks normal per hop.

Keep in mind there are 200 other users around these locations in the southeast that work fine.

We did not have this problem before we migrated to W2K. There are no event log entries pertaining to this issue. I expected to see some failed login entries because some of them can enter the username and password several times and eventually get in. From that point everything loads real slow. Normally if I get failed logins, it logs it as a user from w.x.y.z (ip address) failed to authenticate or login succesfully due to bad username or password. But, I dont get anything, like it never gets here.

I am going to do some more digging in to the IIS logs and see if I can turn anything up there.

Thanks for the help, I hope this answers you questions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice