1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd issues with ethernet cable/university internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bmta, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmta

bmta Thread Starter

Hello,

So, I recently moved abroad and am studying in a university residence in Europe, with internet only available through an ethernet cable. To have access at all it's first necessary to load a webpage in firefox and type in your username and password provided by the university; each time you close out of Firefox you have to reenter your login information. Unfortunately I'm not particularly knowledgeable as far as networking issues are concerned, but the university's residence service gave me a document that mentions configuring a proxy to connect to the internet, if that says anything...for reference, I'm using Windows 7.

My problem is that most other programs can't seem to connect to the internet - for example, Skype, Google chat (calls are always disrupted by a network error), Steam, and Microsoft Security Essentials can't update/I can't log in to my respective accounts from the program on my desktop, though oddly enough Windows Update does work. Similarly, streaming video within the browser loads but never actually begins, as when, for example, I attempt to stream a soccer match with a service similar to ESPN 360. Opera doesn't work either, as I get an error message from the university's IT service, though this isn't as much of a problem.

All of the programs above are allowed according to my firewall settings, so I really don't see what the problem would be. As far as I can tell they're not blocked by the university...

Any help would be appreciated, as I have absolutely no idea what the issue might be.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Mentions? You're supposed to use a particular proxy but you haven't configured it? You're not supposed to use one? :confused:

What firewall are you using?

You're trying to use these other programs while Firefox is open, right?

3. bmta

bmta Thread Starter

Er, sorry for the confusion - what I meant is that upon opening Firefox, you have to provide your login information. They also asked that you configure a proxy, which I have - under options, advanced, connection, I copied the provided url into "automatic proxy configuration url." I only did this once.

I'm using Windows firewall; yes, I'm trying to use these programs with Firefox open.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly it's the proxy that is deliberately blocking. However, it certainly shouldn't be blocking MSE updates unless you are also required to use a specific security suite or anti-virus.

Or maybe it is because you also need the proxy configured in Firefox. Try, for a test, using IE or else put the proxy in Firefox: Tools - Options - Advanced - Network tab - probably should be 'Use system settings' (I'd certainly try something other than 'No proxy' for this situation).

If you don't come back with "it's working now" my next suggestion is to contact the university's IT department.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice