1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd keyboard issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JoeyG, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Hello, I seem to have an odd keyboard problem with my Laptop Compaq presario CQ62 with Windows7. It simply won't work, not even to put password in. So I use the virtual keyboard to get in (via ease of access.) i go to device manager to see if there's a driver issue with keyboard, and I attempt to update the driver, it says I have the latest, so i completely uninstall it, and try to update it again, same message. The odd thing is when I attempt to go into BIOS, via F2 on start up, it lets me. And I can go through all BIOS settings via keyboard no problem. But as soon as I go back to Windows 7 the keyboard ceases to do nothing again. Stumped.. What do ya think? Thx in advance..

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

This is crazy.. Keyboard works Pre- Windows.. Lets me go to BIOS and all.. Attempted new drivers, even did a system restore all the way back to factory image, still no luck.. Virtual and usb keyboard works. Do not think it's hardware because it does work in pre-boot.. THIS IS KILLIN' ME.. Where am I going wrong?

3. huggie54

huggie54

hiya have a look in your manual your keyboard may be locked,should tell you the key sequence to unlock,eg Fn +F11

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

hey Thanks, i did check the manual, however it's not in depth for function keys.. I see an actual lock button logo on one of the buttons but of course they do not tell you what its for.. Here's the link:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542453.pdf

Also when i press the caps button on an external usb keyboard I hooked up, the caps button lites up on the integrated one.. Also when i go into BIOS and system restore options, it lets me go to CLI, and it works fine there.. But as soon as I enter the actual W7 title screen it will not work at all. I updated the BIOS as well... Crazy... If it was hardware I don't think it would work at all, so I think their could be a stupid lockout feature, but there's no specifics on how to unlock it, in the manual or anywhere that I could find..

5. huggie54

huggie54

looked at manual,firstly is the touchpad enabled,have a look at these two screen shots,

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
  6. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Yes the touchpad is enabled. there's a weird double tap function on the left corner to turn it on and off, That works good, and rest of the touchpad abilities are functioning properly. I reset BIOS before and after i updated it, and just did it again. I also tried function keys both enabled and disabled, still no luck..

7. fodelement

fodelement

Sounds like your filters got messed up after a virus was removed. If you can get into windows, click start and type (click lol?) regedit and press enter. Navigate your way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class>{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Then at the bottom of the list in the right windows you should see upper filters. double click it. Under value data make sure it says "kbdclass". No quotations no spaces at all. Your best bet is to erase everything there and retype it. Exit regedit and restart. Should do the trick, good luck :D

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks.. But I followed that to a t, and now the whole OS won't start, I think I'm gonna have to do a system restore..

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

did a system restore, Got OS Back, But still no luck with Keyboard.. Checked registry, The upperfilters already say kbdclass like they should, I retyped it anyway, and restarted, still no luck with keyboard. And also, if those filters were corrupted, would a factory image re-install re-write them correctly? Because I did a reinstall before and I'm still getting same problem.. Any possibilty it could be hardware problem where BIOS doesn't demand alot of power for keyboard but OS does, and there's possibly a weak connection, strong enough to feed BIOS demands for keyboard but not, OS demands for it? just thinking out loud, cause this is killin' me.. Good stuff with the registry, I learn something new every minute, especially on here.. Thx again, this one is a toughie..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice