1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd mouse +keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FijiJohn, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Suddenly, a computer that was working fine (just after complete clean re-install) will not work with a standard PS2 KB & mouse plugged in. I can use a PS2 KB with a USB mouse but plugging in a PS2 mouse results in a glacially slow (15-20) minute POST and boot. The KB worka (sort of) but only accepts ONE key press every 5-15 minutes. The PS2 mouse stays frozen at all times. This happened suddenly from one boot to the next and there is nothing obvious in BIOS. (I tried clearing CMOS and resetting it but it made no difference.) The KB & mouse work fine on other boxes and substitute KBs and mice have same problem on this box. Suggestions?

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

Go to Control Panel/Adminitrative Tools/Computer Managment/Device Manager

Go to View/Show Hidden Devices

Remove the Drvers for your KeyBoard and Mouse

Reboot and Windows should rebuild the Drivers on Boot Up

Just a thought

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Tell us about "a complete reinstall"? Does this mean reformat and clean fresh new XP install or forbidden overinstall of XP? Is this XP at all?

4. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Yes, this is XP Pro and the drive was reformatted (using the XP CD), then the OS installed, followed by Office, Adobe Reader, and AVG. That's all. (What did you mean by "forbidden overinstall of XP"?) After that I rebooted and was going to install a couple more apps but suddenly the computer was way slow in posting and booting - with a frozen mouse and seemingly frozen keyboard. I rebooted and tried to get into BIOS, discovering that the KB was sort of working but the computer took several minutes to respond to each key press. Removing the PS2 mouse (after turning off computer) and using a USB mouse seems to fix things (although the boot still seems unusally slow - about 3 minutes - for an AMD 1800 with 256 MB DIMM).
    FWLIW, the re-install was required because the owner tried to play a locally-produced CD with a homegrown "copy protection" scheme that ues an autorun app to delete al lthe files on the drive. All that was left were the protected folders and a few system files that were in use when the app ran.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

XP cannot be overinstalled but many try and really screw up their systems.
    Well it seems to me this could be a dying hard drive and there are utilities you can download from each hdd mfgr. Then there is psu weakening and that one is hard without trying another power supply. And finally motherboard...well if you look at the bopard do you see any bulging cpacitors or maybe any oozing any fluid?
    I hope this isn't an Ecs or Pc Chips or equal motherboard in which case it is probably the board.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice