1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd network connection problem!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smithmdan, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Peer to peer windows network.

Seven computers. Some running XP. Some 98 or 95.

One of the 98's has lost the network connection. Was working fine, now doesn't.

Sometimes it see no computers in Network Neighborhood. Some times it sees it 's self. Some times it see one or more of the other six. Hitting "refresh" makes it add one or more .

Getting these error messages:

"Can not browse network."
    or

" The computer or sharename could not be found , Make sure you typed it correctly , and try again."

I have checked the UTP cable, it seems OK.
    I have tried a new network card. It worked for a few days and then quit again.
    I have checked the Computer ID and workgroup names.
    All protocols seem to be in order.
    I even tried the hard drive in another computer thinking I had a hardware problem. This did not work either.

I can access the internet , but not the intranet.
    Other computer on network do not "see" the problem one.

Any help or suggestions?

2. bryan986

bryan986

make sure netbios is enabled on all computers on the local area network

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you install NETBEUI on all of the machines, and you should be magically connected. :) Here's the NETBEUI for XP files with a convenient batch file to put them into the correct directories, and they're also available on the CD in the VALUEADD directory.

4. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try netbeui and let you know what happens.

5. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Johnwill,

Thanks!

Netbeui worked on the 95 and 98 computers.

Had some trouble with the xp. They didn't seem to take the file.

No big deal , the problem computer does not have to have access to them anyway.

I do have some questions:

Why was it working before without NetBeui?
    Is there a better fix?

This computer needs to access a very large network printer/copier which show up on the Lan is E-Studio 45.

I know nothing about configuring this or adding NetBeui to it.
    Do I need to contact the printer/copier tech support?

This printers show on the network as a peer like the other seven computer.

Any futher help you can give me?
    Anyone else?

I really appreciate the help.
    The basic problem is solved.
    ( Can now share files and print to the Netbeui added computers)

6. JohnWill

The reason that workgroups sometimes work just TCP/IP is too complicated for even Microsoft to answer, at least they won't admit there's a problem. I believe it has to do with the Master Browser election scheme, I've run across a number of networks that have worked for months, and suddenly when there's a configuration change, computers disappear. Almost in every case, adding NETBEUI to the configuration returns sanity to the mix. I don't know of a better fix, but if one ever comes along, I'll use it. :D

For the XP machine, if you downloaded the file I pointed you to and ran it, that put the files in the correct place. You also have to do into Network Properties and actually add the NETBEUI protocol to get it installed, and then you'll have that machine browsing again too.

As far as your E-Studio 45 printer, if you can see it on the LAN, you don't need to add anything, just use it. :)

BTW, even if you can't browse to a resource, if you know the correct network name, you can directly address it without NETBEUI, the only problem we're correcting here is browsing.

7. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanations.

I found the instruction to add NetBeui on the net last night. Thanks.

These computer are located at my sister's church where she is the office manager. Just trying to help her out . Computers are her responsibility and headache.

E-Studio was seen of the LAn, but double clicking it comes up with a message " not accessible" from the problem computer . Can I still print to it?

I don't quite understand your last sentence. Can you give more details?

I can not try the network again until Monday night, so bare with me.

Thanks

8. jimi

jimi

even if the computer/printer (any network resource) isn't visible - which is fixed - and you know the resource name you can access it by using - 95/98 find>computer then enter \\(resource name)

i.e. \\e-studio 45 (if thats the name)

xp is search>computers or people>(resource name)

thats what john meant in a net shell with his last sentence

btw slashes before the resource name in 95/98 seem to be a requirement not so in xp; john, anyone, can you explain that one?

9. JohnWill

I can't explain the naming differences, except to say "Microsoft consistency". :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/157872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice