1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd network traffic

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Zh4x0r, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zh4x0r

Zh4x0r Thread Starter

I use NetMeter to monitor in and outbound traffic to my computer, and starting a coupple of months ago, every once and a while, a series of a thousand or so 2.25 to 3Mb/s upload spikes start, amounting for almost 1Gb per day!!!!!

the spikes occur every 20 seconds, like clockwork.

i'll post a screenshot from netmeter next time it happens.

the odd thing is, no antivirus i've tried has found anything! same goes for antispyware!

whenever i start deleteing processes from the process list, it stops, then comes back after a coupple of minutes! also, if i am running on wifi, plug in my network cable, wait for it to connect, and disable wifi, the pulses subside for a bit, then come back!

i'm concerned because of the incredible ammount of data involved, and, it seems to have been increasing iver the past month.

Luckily, all the important data on my machine is encrypted, but, if the spikes are a data transfer, encryption won't mean $#!7.

any ideas?
    screenshot comming soon.

Attached Files:

2. Zh4x0r

Zh4x0r Thread Starter

here's the screenshot + explanatory annotation

Attached Files:

3. hrlow2

hrlow2

Welcome to TSG.
    What other programs are running at startup?
    Maybe an Antivirus checking in for updates?
    Do you have anything set on a schedule?

4. Zh4x0r

Zh4x0r Thread Starter

i have a few things starting at startup:

McAffe Security Center (free w/Comcast)
    Dell QuickSet (control over hardware: LCD brighness etc...)
    Network Sthuff (lan, wifi)
    NetMeter (network traffic meter)
    ATI control pannel
    touchpad utilities
    realplayer monitor
    ctfmon
    Spybot S&D
    MSN Messenger
    Windows Search
    bunches of WinLogon BS you can't get rid of if you want windows XP to work

i've tried disabling each thing individually (using Spybot S&D), and nothing has seemed to stop the pulses

i've also noticed that if a program tries to use alot of a particular system resource, the spikes quiet down, but don't go away.

the antivirus wouldn't update every 20 seconds 24/7/365...

nothing runs on a schedule of anything less than 24 hrs...

-thanks,

-Z

5. hrlow2

hrlow2

My cable connection does pretty much the same thing,but I have never used anything to try monitoring it. It just sends and recieves to the cable provider to keep my connection open and retain my IP Address.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2

Try using WinPatrol to do your startup control. You don't need to remove the MS stuff from your machine, just disable it from autostarting.
    I have only my firewall,network connection, and 3 antispyware starting at startup. Everything else are started as needed.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can't you tell what process is producing the upload? Usually there is a monitor of some sort in the firewall that would tell you. It has to be an "allowed" application, after all.

Take a look at Current Ports to easily see all your connections, closed, open, waiting, and established.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809682