1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd OEM/Retail Key Situation...help much appreciated...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gocjeffe, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gocjeffe

gocjeffe Thread Starter

I did a clean install of Vista on my home using a Dell Vista Ultimate disc that my IT guy at work had, with the plan to just buy a valid key later. I was just anxious to get installed and the disc was sitting right there.

So of course a month (or however long it is) goes by and I start getting messages about needing a valid key. Then I went on vacation and when I came home I was operating in "Reduced functionality Mode". That's fun. I manage to get that disabled for now, but I bought a key for home premium (a full install key, not just the upgrade) from the MS marketplace site. When I put that key in I get the message "The product key you entered will not work with this version of Windows Vista. Please insert the startup disc or try another key"...something like that.

What do I need to do to get this key working (other than a new install of Vista). Help me please!!!

Thanks!

2. ayrshirekev

ayrshirekev

You need to purchase a version of vista home premium for the key that you have bought t5o work with there is no Way a home prem key will validate a vista ultimate install.

3. gocjeffe

gocjeffe Thread Starter

Home premium is fine...I'm not trying to get ultimate...is there any way I can validate my OS and get it down to home premium without having to re-install?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    NO, you must reinstall using the Home DVD and keycode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice