1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd Power Issue on Desktop - Need Assistance Diagnosing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akrucanadien, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akrucanadien

Akrucanadien Thread Starter

About 3 weeks ago, my computer randomly began showing concerning signs that something was failing. Anytime between 15 minutes and 10 hours of my computer being on and in use, it will give me a black screen and not complete a restart. The power is never lost as my motherboard lights and fans stay on, and it fails to restart every time. It has gotten to the point where I am unable to do my work for school. I am unable to do anything after it black screens, and the only way to restart my PC is by completely unplugging the PSU and then plugging it back in.

I have tried resetting my PC to remove any software that might have been on my main hard drive, but there was no success there. I have reinstalled Windows 10, completely rewired everything from the PSU to the components to make sure there were no loose cables anywhere, and again no success. In the Windows Event Viewer, the only thing that shows up is a Critical Error with Event ID 41 (Kernel-Power), but that doesn't tell me much besides the power was lost.

I have run BIOS diagnostics on my memory and hard drive with no warnings. I have also updated all drivers, flashed the BIOS, and tried looking for other solutions online but I am getting nowhere. I've also made sure nothing else is plugged into the same outlet as the desktop. I've monitored temperature and there were no oddities there.

I'm unsure if my PSU is dying but it is fairly new. Not even 3 years old. Not sure what else it could be at this point. The RAM, CPU, and Motherboard are brand new, bought at the end of April.

Specs below:
    ASUS Prime X470-Pro Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (stock cooler)
    Viper Elite Series DDR4 8GB (2x4) 2400 MHz
    Corsair Force LS 128gb SSD (Main hard drive where OS lives)
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD (Mostly games and software)
    ASUS GTX 970 Turbo
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold PSU

I need some help doing further diagnoses to find what may be wrong before I order any spare parts. Any assistance is greatly appreciated at this point!

-Adam

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start by monitoring your temps and voltages. Go to the support page for your board;
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
    Download and install AiSuite [under utilities] The only part you need is dual intelligent processors; you can install or not install any stuff up to you. This will monitor temps and voltages. Post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and also while running a stress test. Use prime95, realbench, or OCCT for the stress test [All free downloads]
    Let the stress test run for at least 2min then post the screenshot of temps and voltages.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice