1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd problem on 9800XT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gox777, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gox777

Gox777 Thread Starter

Since I did a clean install of my hard drive recently, I've been having a problem with my graphics.

My Specs:
    Windows XP
    Athlon XP 2800+
    ATI Radeon 9800XT (AGP)
    ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard

Symptoms:
    -When I open up a video file, pause it, then open up a second video file, the second video file will play as normal with a grainy texture over it.
    -When I go into the catalyst control center and try to change 3D options, the previews will be all messed up and make my screen go black (forcing me to restart the comp).
    -Various menus in a game called Maplestory flicker which makes playing the game very annoying. (This game uses DirectX btw)

What I've Tried Already:
    -updating to my mobo's latest chipset drivers
    -reinstalling the latest ATI drivers (I tried both the stand alone card driver and the entire catalyst software package.)
    -reinstalling DirectX

The odd thing is that I haven't changed any of my hardware around at all since the last time I did a clean install. The only thing different was is the new case I transferred everything in to. (The reason I had to do a clean install just recently was because the contents of my hard drive somehow got messed up in the process of moving it and I couldn't do a windows recovery.)

Also I should mention that the grainy video problem doesn't happen when the catalyst drivers are uninstalled.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. del_boy1960

del_boy1960

3. Gox777

Gox777 Thread Starter

I actually tried the omega drivers a little bit before checking back on this thread. Still doesn't fix it completely though. The problem while running a second video screen persists, though I think it may have helped with running maplestory slightly. Now it takes a few minutes into the game before the graphics start going crazy.

Thanks for the idea though.

4. del_boy1960

del_boy1960

Ok mate, good hunting

5. Gox777

Gox777 Thread Starter

Ok, I'm happy to say that it's solved now.
    What I ended up doing was reseating the video card. More importantly what I noticed while doing so, was that the 2 pin little cord to the fan somehow got unplugged. (maybe while taking it our of the original case). I plugged it back in and now everything's fine. Apparently it was overheating because the fan wasn't even turning XD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice