1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd problem,uses defaults, doesnt allow some changes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rajaninian, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajaninian

rajaninian Thread Starter

Greetings, I am totaly new here so apologies if Im doing anything wrong.

Ive recently been struck by an odd problem, after using a system restore point to try and solve a weird video thing (ffdshow suddenly stopped working properly and some movies wouldnt have sound, installed wm9 with proper codecs and then I only had sound, whereas before I would have both(. It essentially messed up my comp, not only did it break the link on one of my partitions (linked to temp folder in windows folder and on main disk), as well as a couple of other things such as:
    Resetting multiple things to default like keyboard (which is why Im typing funny and Resetting proper punctuation), as well as the thing you get when you first open your programs files and windows folder (tells they should be protected blah blah) which resets every time I move backwards and forwards.
    Unable to start some processes, ie my AV (avast) despite starting does not appear on the inferior right corner and some others like msn dont even start.
    Another odd thing is how I cant globally change hidden files properties, meaning I cant see anything hidden atm, although I can set a folder hidden and then unhide it. Or rather I tell it to change it, it appears as such but doesnt, and once I return to the screen where I do that , its back as default, as well as a couple of other things.

2. rajaninian

rajaninian Thread Starter

I just realized, that pretty much every problem is solved on another account (execpt for the video one which is odd since the codecs worked for years and only seem to have broken down just now). Although I still have no idea why all that stuff happened.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!