1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd problem with Acer monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riverglen, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I have a 19" Acer monitor that I've been using for several years. Several months ago, I started having problems getting the thing to power up, or so I thought. Didn't happen very often and I just fiddled around a bit to get it going. But lately the I've had about a 50-50 chance of getting having the problem occur.

Both the monitor and the computer tower are powered through a UPS. My normal procedure has always been to shut the computer down, and when the shut-down completes, to shut off the UPS to remove power from the computer and the monitor. I don't normally touch the monitor power button.

When I bring up the machine I turn the UPS back on which normally would power the monitor back up, and then turn on and boot the computer. When the monitor fails to come up normally I noticed that the pilot light in the power switch comes on green (normal running state), then if I wait a bit it reverts to orange (standby), but then it unexpectedly goes out altogether. If I start the computer quickly enough, I don't see the standby state and the monitor just shuts down. When the problem happens, the monitor will not power up by toggling its power button. But if I unplug the thing from the UPS (or for that matter from the wall, which I've already tried) it will come up normally, and everything is fine. And once running, it has never once has there been any further trouble. I've tried plugging the monitor directly into the wall and turning it on and off manually, but on at least one occasion that didn't prevent the problem from occurring.

One other interesting fact is that on a couple of occasions I managed to get the monitor running without shutting the computer down, and evidently the computer didn't get the proper information to identify the native resolution of the monitor. The video resolution was wrong, and Windows didn't offer the correct setting as an available choice. So, evidently there is some sort of early hand shake between the machine and the monitor, before Windows boots.

So, can anybody shed any light on what is going on here? I really think I'm going to be in the market for a new monitor, which is kind of a shame since it works fine once I get it going.

2. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Update following a new experiment.

I decided to try powering up the monitor (applying primary power by turning on the UPS) and then waiting to see what would happen before turning on the computer. Result was an initial green pilot light accompanied by the Acer logo screen, followed by the pilot turning orange when the monitor realized there was no video input signal. Waited a minute of so in that state to see if anything would happen, but the monitor remained happily in the standby state. But when I turned on the computer, the monitor shut down (pilot light dark) within only a few seconds. Never got far enough to see the boot menu, or anything else for that matter. And there seemed to be quite a lot of both disk and network activity, especially since I never even got to select an operating system to boot. So, now I unplug the monitor and plug it in again, without doing anything to the computer. Upon reapplication of the monitor primary power, it comes right up and I was able to boot into Windows with no problem. Except that Windows (or the BIOS?) never got the word regarding what the available monitor resolutions were, so the initial display came up using the wrong resolution. A simple re-boot fixes that, now that the monitor is there to talk to. Among the interesting questions this all raises, is "what the hell was the computer doing while the monitor was in la-la land"?

I would REALLY like to hear some informed speculation on all this. At this point, I'm not able to confidently attribute the cause to the monitor or the computer.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The wrong resolution could mean be the cable from tower to monitor isn't connecting properly. Check their are no bent pins then try unplugging and replugging it at both ends a few times (with the power off).
    That should clean the pins. If it's still playing up try another cable if possible.

The UPS may struggling to provide enough power so try connecting the monitor directly to the power without going through the UPS.

If nothing helps the monitor could be faulty. Try to test it on another computer.

4. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Well, my current working theory is that the monitor has some sort of a problem. Cables aren't a likely cause. The data cable has thumb screws on both ends, and hasn't been disturbed since I bought the thing. Thought it might be the power cable where it plugs into the monitor, but it's solid, and the symptoms don't fit anyway.

I have connected the monitor directly to the wall with no effect on the problem, so that rules the UPS out. And once things are running, the UPS shows no signs of strain.

Haven't tried the monitor on another computer. All I have around here is a laptop with a video port, which probably would be sufficient. I agree that its a good experiment to try.

I was hoping that someone in this forum would have some detailed knowledge regarding any sort of handshake that seems must be occurring to inform the computer of the resolution capabilities of the monitor. I only see resolution problems if I leave the machine running, unplug and then re-apply power to the monitor and then let the boot complete normally, which it invariably does. But under those circumstances, the computer doesn't know what the monitor resolution capabilities are. If I then reboot the machine, the proper resolution is restored.

The way things are behaving, it looks like the monitor will power up ok, but then when some sort of handshake communication is attempted by the computer to determine the monitor capabilities, the monitor bails. Having shut down in this state, it will not respond to toggling the monitor power button unless I unplug the monitor and then plug it back in (from primary power). What I'd really like to know is whether my assumptions regarding an initial handshake between the computer and the monitor are correct.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice