1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd Problem With B Band Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oosband, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

A few months ago my G Band Wireless Router stopped working, a friend of mine gave me his old B Band Wireless Router and I have been using that.

The downstairs computer has full speed internet because it's wired to the router, my upstairs pc gets extremely slow internet; it gets the internet wireless.

My problem is that upstairs I my internet usually is very slow, I download at around 15kbp/s. Sometimes though it goes up to around 50kb-220kb, but this is very irregular.
    I understand that the range on B Band is much shorter but my pc and router are only about 3-4 meters away.

I'm just confused as to why it sometimes goes at normal speed but most of the time doesn't.
    Also, I tried SpeedTest and got these results:
    [​IMG]
    Why is my internet so slow?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What kind of results does the wired computer get with Speedtest?

Are you getting a strong signal? Is the nominal connection speed 11Mbps?

Any interference from other wireless networks?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try changing channels, it's the first step to do in this situation.

5. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

The wired computer gets around 2000kb/s and 180kb/s.
    The signal strength is full and the speed is 11Mbps.
    I don't quite know what you mean by interference but the connection is encrypted so there's only 2 pcs connected.

How would I go about changing channel? It's currently on channel 11.
    Edit: Found out how to change channels, that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Don't know why you're not getting better, but getting 70% of the wired speed probably means it's not worth your effort messing with it. A borrowed old 'b' router is only temporary, right?

7. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

Well until I can afford a new one yes, but that may be a couple of months...
    I'm not actually getting 70% of the speed though, that's what the speedtest says BUT my pages are loading very slow and my download speeds are like 15kb/s. I have tried different browsers and I'm getting a slow connection on online games too.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

9. Oosband

Oosband Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I'll buy a new router soon.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689666