1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd problem with Internet Conncection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by demoloution, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoloution

demoloution Thread Starter

Hello,
    i am new in the forums and really need your help

today, all day, i try to connect to the internet through my desktop and i cant. The funny thing is that i have 2 laptops and 1 mobile connected in my modem's wifi and works perfectly. My modem is connected to my desktop, all lights are up, but i cant reach any website.

I tried the 10 sec reset while removing power, restarted my pc, scanned my pc for viruses (webroot antivirus) but nothing worked.

For some reason i cant run "antimalware bytes" programm as it shuts down on its own, but i dont think there might be a malware that webroot cant detect.

So i keep searching till now on the internet for solutions, and i saw a very old post about pinging on browser. So i tried it (put my IP on the bar of browser) but nothing happened (i cant open modems configuration). Also i run IPCONFIG /ALL in cmd and the only "near to mine" IP i saw was a line "IPv4 169.254.12.192"

Now 2 things to notice..my "default gate" is empty in cmd and in the post i found i saw that u mustnt have and IP starting with 169.xx.xx cause then you have something corrupted..sadly the post was old enough and it had solutions only till windows XP

I run windows Vista and i didnt have this problem till today
    Also, the last thing that i did last night was executing a command in cmd that decrease the size of RAM used by programms to 2GB (down from 3)..i had increased the size cause a game "PlanetSide2" wanted 3GB of RAM to run..now i uninstalled it and i reseted to 2GB, dont know if this has something to do with my internet connectivity.

If anyone knows anything please i need your help!!

Thank you!!

EDIT : THINGS I DID:
    -Restart PC
    -Restart modem, while unplugging power
    -Antivirus Scan
    -Disable Antivirus
    -Inserting IP manually
    -System Restore
    -Commands like: "ipconfig /reset /renew", " reset resetlog.txt" etc (dont even remember them)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. demoloution

demoloution Thread Starter

will you believe me if i tell you today i have internet...cant undersand those machines...
    but what i do if this happens again??....oh god

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice