1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd, random-like, crashes/freezes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WuuSauce, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 4020 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 119232 MB, Free - 30994 MB; D: Total - 340706 MB, Free - 247873 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., N71Jq
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Hello,

So, last night, just, randomly, my computer up and shut off. It was as though somebody had straight pulled power (except i have a laptop, which was plugged in, and yes, 100% battery). There was no BSOD, it just, up and turned itself off. No shutdown procedures; just, everything went black.

Booted the computer up, booted just fine, logged in just fine, but my startup procedures were slow. Took a while for my computer to get kickin. Then after about, 1-2 minutes, it just up and turned off again. Relentless, I tried to launch again. I did, ran fine again, just a little slow during startup.

I immediately ran a virus scan, checked out good, went about my night, no disruptions.

Come back today, turned my computer on, everything was gravy, left my room for a moment, came back, everything was locked up. Mouse wouldn't move, keyboard wouldn't type, clock wouldn't tick. Just, straight frozen. I rebooted my computer, same thing, normal boot, slow startup, my explorer.exe crashed at the startup however, which was out of the ordinary, and just seems like every 10 minutes my computer will freeze. Which is why I'm about to post an incomplete post, because it's been about 10 minutes since I've booted and I'm not sure when it will freeze up again. I shall return!

2. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

Good thing I posted when I did. Does seem like every 10 minutes to the 'T' it freezes up

3. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

One of my buddies said its probably over heating. Nothing feels hotter than it typically would, though, now that I check my fan, I can't really tell if it's spinning as optimally as it was before. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid about it or not

4. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

I'm beginning to believe this is a heat issue. I pulled my laptop from my desk, and now have it slightly propped on one of my legs, allowing airflow to circulate underneath. I also dusted out what little I could without removing the casing (have never opened a lap top before).

I've owned this machine since February of last year, and have <strike>abused</strike> not been very nice to it in the during months.

Though, summer is not one to be trifled with here in New Mexico, and she managed to beat the heat during the 100+ degree weather (mind you, I do live in an AC house :/) for a few months straight just about. I'm just a little confused why now, in October, damn may as well be November, when its 60 degrees and wonderful outside, it's starting to act up. Dust is my greatest guess.

5. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    what id recommend you do is download HWmonitior it should give you temperture readings also if we could have the model of laptop that'd be appreciated.

6. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

It is an ASUS N71J. I will be sure to download that when I get off work today

7. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

I'm showing averages of about 60C at idle on all of my cores. Not sure what they run at with loads on them, but I recall from reading reviews that this model lap top tends to get very hot, but nobody had reported any over heating issues. Just that the exhaust fan would reach very warm temps. Not sure if 60C is average for this model or not, I do acknowledge that it's about double what most laptops run though

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

60C at idle has to be too hot.

9. WuuSauce

WuuSauce Thread Starter

I did some googling and found that many other people have been having similar issues, with idle temperatures sitting around 80 degrees, and exceeding about 100C under load. Apparently it's one of the downfalls of the N series that ASUS released, being that it didn't have very adequate cooling. I've got a laptop cooler on order, hopefully that helps my machine

10. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    It could also be your hard drive, and other memory modules so we will check other things aswell.

This is a check disk which will check your HDD for bad sectors.

Please follow these steps.

1. Click the Start button
    2. Click Run
    3. Type cmd and click OK
    4. type "chkdsk /r" without the "" this will check your disk for errors and attempt to fix them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice