1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd slowdown triggered by XP auto update

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by kp.straw, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kp.straw

kp.straw Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

A couple of days ago my computer downloaded the latest windows updates, I clicked 'install and shutdown' closed the screen and went to sleep. The next day I didn't check my computer until I got back from work, and what I saw was a bit troubling. It was a mat black screen with just one line in white across the top, I think it said "critical data error" I freaked out assuming that my computer had spent the whole day like that and just held down the power button. I regret not taking better note of exactly what it said.

For the last two days start up has taken about 3 or 4 times as long as it used too. Also whenever I am playing music I will get a periodic skip in the songs, and the "trrrrrrrrr" sound, like a lag spike but nothing to do with streaming online music. This happens about every minute, and lasts about 3 seconds. Today I restarted my computer and immediately got a blue screen and a forced restart. After that I reverted to my last saved settings mode but nothing has changed.

When I open up task manager I see that my cpu is fluxuating between 2% and 90% constantly, this was one of the first symptoms of a problem although it seems to have calmed down. It was happening even when I am not running any programs. Installing software is extremely slow (taking about 4 hours to install Medieval 2 Total War), so is launching anything.

The notebook is an ASUS Z81SP, which I bought about May 2006. From the very start I noticed that if it was not on a desk it had a tendency to overheat. Notebook specs are as follows, Pentium 4 (3ghz) with HT, 2GB of Ram, Nvidia Geforce Go 6800, and a 120GB hard drive, I don’t know the speed of the hard drive and don’t know how to find it out. I am running XP Home with SP2.

Before this consistent problem started occurring every time I would pick up my notebook and move it the skipping in music and slow down would occur. However this was always fixed with a restart.

I have done several spyware scans with spybot, cwshredder, and ad-aware, nothing out of the ordinary. I am also running AVG Anti Virus updated. Interestingly Firefox an IE are running normally experiencing almost no slowdown.

I am most puzzled that this sounds like it could be both a hardware and software issue. However the windows auto update seemed to trigger it so I believe it to be software. I know a little bit about computers but not enough to diagnose this problem. Please give me any suggestions about what the problem might be, how to fix it, or where to look for help.

Thanks Much, and Best!
    -kp.straw

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 9:34:02 PM, on 11/11/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\HControl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\ATKOSD.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HControl] C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\HControl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAShCut.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [I/O Controllers] svcnet.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [I/O Controllers] svcnet.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_AddToList.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Preview.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll/RC_Print.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1163665229328
    O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownload/dist/hgstart/HGPlugin9USA.cab
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 7137 bytes

2. kp.straw

kp.straw Thread Starter

Ok if anyone else has a problem like this I seem to have found a solution. The problem is with the way windows delivers Software Distribution Service 3.0, I reverted my computer to previous settings, that took care of the problem but now am prompted to install auto updates again.

This link to another forum describes the same problem I am posting this in case anyone encounters the problem and needs instructions on how to remove the SDS folder to prevent windows auto update from repeatedly installing.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160450

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!