Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odd Sound When Speakers Are Off

558 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  connie189 
#1 ·
Hi,

My ASUS all-in-one is about 4 years old.

My husband just reinstalled Windows and other programs because of problems I was having with my computer.

After he did this, a strange sound came from my computer. (It sounded like the right side, in the back of the machine).

Never had this happen before the install. I checked and my speakers' volume was set a zero. The sound is not faint; it is very noticeable.

There is a slight muffled "click" like a line is opening up and then a slightly static-like sound that gets louder, then the volume goes back down. It's like on an old phone line; you can tell if you have an open line or not. This can repeat itself several times in a row. Not all day, but sporadically.

My husband is speculating this has something to do with some hardware problem.

Thank you for any insights.

Connie

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210401180550.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (870 GB Free); D: 931 GB (872 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. V230IC-DDR4, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n MB-1234567890
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n G6PTCJ005350
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

See less See more
#2 ·
And you are positive that the sound is coming out of the speaker? Does it do the same thing with headphones?

#3 ·
"Never had this happen before the install. I checked and my speakers' volume was set a zero. The sound is not faint; it is very noticeable."

I never hear the odd sound through my headphones, even with the speaker volume turned all the way up. It sounds like it's coming from the upper right area of the back of my screen.

This being an all-in-one machine, I wasn't sure where the speakers were located (solid back). So I unplugged my headphones and played some music. The music came through at the area (upper right) where I hear the odd noise.

I was also able to control the volume with the music.

I can't control the volume with the odd sound that I'm getting.

#4 ·
It's only coming from one speaker? Are you sure it isn't the hard drive or a CD/DVD drive? Or a fan?

#5 ·
Hi,

We always hear the sound on the upper right side of the screen.

I don't have a CD/DVD in when it happens. Hubby said he's heard fans before and said this sound is totally different.

He thinks it might be hard drive related, but can't prove it.

I forgot to mention that I noticed another odd thing with the sound. I was in que for a chat conversation twice with different site(s) online reps and at the bottom of the chat screens, it said that I would "hear a beeping sound" and one said a "tone" and that meant the rep was available to chat. I actually heard the beep and tone each time. That was a first. The odd "open sound" also got louder right before that happened. I checked; my speakers were set at zero each time.

#6 ·
I wonder if you may have an internal speaker of some sort on the motherboard for system sounds. If so, it may not be affected by the speaker volume control.

#8 ·
It may not be. I was just clutching at straws.

What is the model #? Maybe we can find some information about where the HDD is located. If it is nowhere near that area, that would likely rule it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.