1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd speed problem behind a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lightingbird, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightingbird

lightingbird Thread Starter

This is from my last post moving to the next confusing problem.

My customer has 4 computers hooked up to his router. The customer recently got his line repaired and is hooked right up to his node directly outside his house. Going right to his modem he gets 60mb. Once he hooks up to his router all of his computers all get between 58mb to 61mb.

Here is the problem.

One of the computers is only getting 29mb to 36mb.

I have tried so much that its driving me nuts.

The computer is on windows 7 64bit.

The ethernet driver is a nvidia nforce networking controller.

It currently has the most recent driver, actually I have even found a win7 update.

I've swapped 4 different ethernet cables and get the same speed.

Attempted changing the duplex speed with no luck.

Ran a defrag, check the disk for errors, and looked for malware.

Cleared the startup and even attempted checking the speed in safe mode with no luck.

I'm lost... anyone have any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The computer gets 60 Mbps download connected to the modem but a max. of 36 Mbps connected to the router? But the router is fine with several other computers, right?

My best guess, emphasis on guess, is that for some unknown reason the NIC is having difficulty syncing to the correct connection speed with the router. Try different LAN ports to make sure it's not just the one port. Then in Device Manager - right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - Change the Speed & duplex property to 100 Mbps full duplex or 1000 Mbps full duplex, whichever is most appropriate for the router and NIC.

3. lightingbird

lightingbird Thread Starter

No this particular computer only gets somewhere around 35mb with a direct connect or the router. If you read my post carefully, you'll see I stated I tried all of that already. This is driving me nuts.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Missed the "duplex speed." Sorry.

If the driver is from the PC or motherboard manufacturer's site, or if they don't supply one, I'm not sure there's anything left but a faulty NIC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice