1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

odd system tray - some progams are not running on startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gazza_d, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gazza_d

gazza_d Thread Starter

hi all.

i have a really annoying niggle with my dell inspiron 6000 winXP system. when the system boots, many of the icons do not appear in the system tray. most of the time, only the Mcafee security center is running in the system tray, and the wireless network and local area connection icons are there, with nothing else appearing. what should appear is the battery meter icon (thats probably the most annoying thing), the volume icon, AVG free edition, nokia pc suite, dell quickset, dell support, microsoft spyware, and the winamp tray icon.

i have run the microsoft spyware scan, the adaware spyware scan, spybot S&D, avg, and mcafee virus scan, all of them with no results.

Occaisonally, the system starts and all the icons are present and correct. i hae no idea what is causing this, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. amthmi

amthmi

Forgive me for asking...
    Is your taskbar unlocked ?
    Are you unhiding inactive icons ?

3. gazza_d

gazza_d Thread Starter

heh i wish it was that simple!! nope all the settings for the system tray are exactly the same as they are when windows was installed!! the strange thing is that ocaisionally on boot up all the icons are there!! (about 20% of the time)

4. amthmi

amthmi

Odd indeed...
    I'll head over to kellys korner and see if I see a fix.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Sorry I had to ask about the inactive icons option when you right click the taskbar and select properties.

5. amthmi

amthmi

Do you have more than one profile setup or is it just you ?

6. gazza_d

gazza_d Thread Starter

thanks for the link i'll look into that. yep i only have one profile set up

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!