1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd USB activity?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tool1248, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tool1248

Tool1248 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Here's my dilemma.... I am running Windows 98 SE. I installed a Logitech web cam and a HP Scanjet via USB. The moment I installed the drivers for the scanjet and attempted to use the scanner... my PC rebooted by itself. After several tries I uninstalled the software for it and haven't used the USB ports since. No problems until I buy a digital camera. Now about every fourth or fifth picture I transfer from it to my PC (via USB) causes my PC to lock up for a second and then reboot.
    I feel it's obviously the USB ports, since the problem only arises when they are in use. Does anyone out there have any ideas what about the HP scanjet software could have caused this (since it never happened until the exact moment I installed the scanner) and how it could be corrected?

Tool1248

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Try a powered USB hub. The problem you describe is typical of lack of power on the USB bus.

hth

Ceri

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Try removing your hubs and controllers from Device Manager first.
    If it still happens see if there is an update for your BIOS and instructions for flashing.
    There may be a known BIOS issue that the flash will fix.
    I have seen that work before in other USB situations especially with Windows98.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

By the way you would find out if you had a BIOS update at your PC or motherboard manufacturers website and look in downloads or software.

5. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

If your going to download from your mobo site , down the chipset drivers too because they usually contain updated USB drivers.
    If not , search in the mobo downloads for it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    deHakkleaar is absolutely right, the chipset drivers are essential for proper operation of computer. Older Intel chipsets have numerous issues with USB devices, as do other chipsets.

You should also download the latest drivers for the camera and scanner off the manufacturer's website as they may have addressed similar issues.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice