1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Odd wireless advice request

Discussion in 'Networking' started by klaatu, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

My goal: transmit an SSID (network name) so that it’s picked up strongly in my nasty neighbor’s home about 150 feet away. Why? You can say a lot in 32 characters, and I have a message I’d like this jerk to see as high as possible in his available wireless networks list.

This network won’t do anything else. It won’t be connected to the Internet nor to any other device. I’ve tried placing a couple of routers (which I preassigned SSIDs and channel #s) in the upper window of my house facing his. This works, but of course the signal doesn’t go very far outside. Next I’m going to try replacing the routers’ standard antennas with stronger ones.

How might I achieve my goal with minimum expense? What are my best indoor & outdoor options? From what I’ve read, it sounds like an outdoor access point mounted high on the outside of my house might be the way to go. But can I pre-program the AP with the SSID like I did the routers? I don’t want to have to run Ethernet to it once it’s mounted; just power (which I can run from an outdoor outlet).

Any advice (including specific product recommendations) would be appreciated!

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'm going to close this. I don't think that this is an issue that TechGuy wants to be affiliated with. IMO, you should just talk to your neighbor, but that's just me.

thanks,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice