1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oddball SCSI problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cptvideo, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cptvideo

cptvideo Thread Starter

I've jst set up a new (used) IBM Intellistation running W2K. I've got a perfectly good IDE boot drive -- the machine works well when I start with this drive.

I want to boot with the SCSI adaptor and drive that is standard with this machine. I copy an image of the good boot partition to the SCSI drive and attempt boot up.

I get a an error to the effect that the paging file is too small, but the boot up hangs up right there -- I never get the chance to adjust the page file size in the usual way.

When I re-attemp to boot from this SCSI drive *with* the good IDE drive powered up, the boot-up is successful. But then I get a weird set of behaviors: not leas of which is a "mshta.exe has generated errors..." when I try to open the Add/remove programs control panel.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks, Cfraig Umanoff

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

This article describes your mshta.exe error to a 't', but doesn't address the difference in boot behavior between the SCSI and IDE boots... You can try the fix, though, and if it straightens the issue, well...

3. cptvideo

cptvideo Thread Starter

thanks. Hound, but I've tried that and its no-go. Microsoft's last resort is re-load the OS and, in that case, I'm badk to my first problem.

cptvideo

4. The Hound

The Hound

You're using an image from an installation on an IDE drive, right?

Have you installed the SCSI drivers for your controller? This is for the M-Pro--there are links for the A Pro and Z pro on the left of the page....

5. cptvideo

cptvideo Thread Starter

Thanks, Hound, but yes, I've loaded the proper SCSI driver. For some damned reason the
    system, when it boots from the SCSI, doesn't recognize its own paging file (or make one, for that matter). Maybe I'm getting the mshta.exe problem for the same reason, but its beyond my experience to know what that is.

Doing a clean install of W2K directly onto this drive is problematic, too -- for other reasons.
    When I try to feed the SCSI driver from a floppy during setup I get "file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18) at line 1029 in d:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

c.u.

6. The Hound

The Hound

I've pretty well exhausted my pool of ideas (limited by lack of SCSI experience-thus the generalized approach)...

BIOS upgrade or a better controller driver-maybe straight from the controller manufacturer (adaptec?)...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice