1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE Address Book Mysteries

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wolfworx, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Help! I'm trying to understand the underlying functionality of the Outlook Eexpress address book.

.wab and .wa~ files found in windows\application data\microsoft\address book when there are no profiles.

These files are also found in windows\profiles\pfofile name\application data\microsoft\address book if profiles are used. Do these files override the contents of the ones in windows\application data\microsoft\address book? Just what do these files contain? They cannot be read with any utility or text reader I have in my bag of tricks.

If I want to copy my mail list to an OE installation on another system there is no simple way to do this. Copying the .wab and .wa~ files from another source to an address book directory does not work. When OE is run and the address book is called the copied files are overwritten with new 0 entry address book files. There appears to be other mysterious mechanisms at work in OE.

When I use FILE, IMPORT, ADDRESS BOOK to import a .wab file from another source, OE reports successful, but the addresses from the other source do not show up when address book is called. The source .wab file is not empty. The addresses show up fine on the source OE installation.

This type of information is not clearly explained anywhere I've looked. Does anyone know what Microsoft is doing here? And BTW just how do I properly manage both Profiles and Identities?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

try the <u>tomsterdam site</u> for detailed look at OE and how to do a variety of things (including the ones you asked about)

3. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

This site answers some questions, but not all.

If *.wab files ar encripted, I suppose it gives some measure of security. But, unfortunately, makes it imposible, to copy to another system, let alone send to an associate for use on his OE installation. I suppose saving the address list as a text file is the only way to go to solve the problem.

Also, to my dismay. I discovered if the Address Book was modified, i.e. entries deleted for one Identity, It carried across to the others as well! Rats! more work.
    :mad: :mad:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice