1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oe attachment bluescreen

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by egriss, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

we are trying to attach a .zip file from a floppy disk to an email using outlook express.

consitently, while attaching the file we receive a bluescreen/error message. text of the error message includes, "beginning dump of physical memory. physical memory dump complete. kernel stock inpage error"

any ideas or suggestions where to start? thank you.

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Hi and welcome to TSG,

What is your OS? Like Windows_____?

How large is the attachment?

DS

3. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

thank you for your help.

windows NT 4.

i do not know the exact size of the file -- i am trying to assist an other individual and dont currently have access to them. the other individual has previously used this computer/email software to attach a similar .zip file. the file size of the previously received files should be very similar to the size of this file -- i would estimate the size of the .zip file they are trying to attach is 700-900 KB.

4. angel

angel

Not that this answers your questions but does the same error occur if you copy the file off the floppy and place it on your hd and attach that one?

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

6. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

Thanks Angel and Dark Star.

We have tried to copy the ZIP file from floppy disk to the hard drive and received error message, which includes the text, "Data error 01121300 (cyclic redundancy check)."

The user on the other end has gone through the process of creating the ZIP file on the floppy multiple times, creating different ZIP files on different disks. Each time she has the same experience when trying to attach the file to the email on the second computer (the first computer, where the ZIP file is created, does not have an internet connection).

Can we conclude the the problem is on the first computer, where the ZIP file is created, rather than the second computer, where she is trying to send the email from?

Also, I believe she does not have winzip installed on either computer -- the ZIP file is created by software that reads data from a SQL database and creates a ZIP file as an export. I assumed this was not a problem, because she has successfully exported the data and sent it on numerous previous ocassions.

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

egriss,

"Can we conclude the the problem is on the first computer, where the ZIP file is created, rather than the second computer, where she is trying to send the email from?"

That is what seems logical as we eliminate other possibilities, bummer we don't have an internet connect on the originating machine.

"the ZIP file is created by software that reads data from a SQL database and creates a ZIP file as an export."

We can probably rule that out as a problem, although....nah we can rule it out.
    I was just wondering if there is any service patches available for the read software, but that is a long shot.

I say look to the originating (first computer) where the zip is created.

let us know what you find.......

DS

8. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

thanks, Dark Star.

I agree that it seems logical to look to the first computer, but I cant think what would have changed since the last time this process was completed successfully.

One explanation would be that the floppy disk is bad, but she insists she has tried multiple disks. If this is true, then the problem must be with the creation of the ZIP file, yes?

Is it logical to hypothesize there is a virus on the computer that is corrupting the ZIP file as it is created?

9. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

thanks, Dark Star.

I agree that it seems logical to look to the first computer, but I cant think what would have changed since the last time this process was completed successfully.

One explanation would be that the floppy disk is bad, but she insists she has tried multiple disks. If this is true, then the problem must be with the creation of the ZIP file, yes?

Is it logical to hypothesize there is a virus on the computer that is corrupting the ZIP file as it is created?

10. egriss

egriss Thread Starter

thanks, Dark Star.

11. Dark Star

Dark Star

egriss,

Yes, I'd say it is in creating the Zip file, and it will not hurt to run a virus scan while we're at it.
    Give Trend Micro a chance to do a housecall.....

http://www.antivirus.com/

Just can't assume that all is well with the originating source although we can get closer once we eliminate any viri contained therein.
    Narrowing down the variables one at a time we'll get to the bottom of this "thing" whatever the cause.

DS

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!