1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE does not exit correctly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by knowslittle, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knowslittle

knowslittle Thread Starter

Long explanation; please bear with me. I have dial-up modem, using WinXP Pro, Outlook Express 6.0. I leave the computer on all the time. Each day when I go online for the first time and click for OE to open, I get a message that OE cannot start because another instance of it is still running, and I should log off Windows and if this doesn't work, I need to reboot. I always reboot (the reason will be addressed in another thread) and then when I go online and click OE, it always comes up. But then there is a message saying that OE did not shutdown correctly the last time I ran it--that it did not exit correctly. My procedure is that when I am online, I run OE minimized so I can get messages. When I'm ready to go offline, I maximize OE and then click the X in the upper-right corner to close OE, then I go offline. Can you help? Thanks.
    Oh, My Goodness, I just realized I did not update my signature. Sorry. It's WinXP Pro and Compaq EN series computer.

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

only time i ever had that prob was with dial-up & i'd leave oe open, then close it inadvertantly while a message was being downloaded. oe would not reopen until i rebooted. personally, i'd close oe every time u finish reading ur emails! :)

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi knowslittle

When Outlook Express is running, open Task Manager, look on the Processes tab, are there two instances of msimn.exe running?

Conversely, if you open Task Manager before you open Outlook Express, does it show msimn.exe running?

Check this setting in Outlook Express:
    Tools > Options > Maintenance tab,
    if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background
    this is a default setting that can cause corruption in your .dbx files.

If you have more than one Identity, check each Identity to ensure this process has been disabled.

In Outlook Express,
    Tools > Options > Connection tab
    Remove any checkmarks there.
    Apply, OK to save and close.

Tools > Accounts > (account name) > Properties > Connection tab,
    If there, remove the checkmark for Always connect to this account using:
    Apply, OK to save and close.

On the Tools > Options > General tab
    Do you have Outlook Express set up to check for messages every XX minutes?
    If so, what option is selected for:
    If my computer is not connected at this time:

Let us know.

4. knowslittle

Cowboy: Thanks for the advice.
    EAFiedler: I checked all the things you noted, and found nothing to change. On your last item, I have OE set to check for new mail every 3 minutes and have "Do Not Connect" as the option under "If my computer is not connected at this time:"

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

What about the processes in Task Manager do you show more than one instance of msimn.exe running?

6. knowslittle

Sorry--I thought I had covered that. No, just one instance of msimn.exe running when OE is open, and no instances when OE is not open.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

That is odd, your getting a message saying there is another instance already running and yet it does not show in the Task Manager processes...

Start > Run
    key in:
    msconfig

Look on the Startup tab
    msimn.exe is not listed for a startup item, is it?

Check your Startup folder also,
    Start > Programs > Startup

Do you have a Pay Pal plug-in for Outlook Express?

Do you have McAfee anti-virus scanner?

8. knowslittle

msimn.exe is not listed in the start-up menu or in the start-up folder. I don't have PayPal and I don't use McAfee. However, I do use Avast 4 Home Edition anti-virus program which starts anytime I reboot.

9. knowslittle

FYI: Lately, I have been leaving OE open (and not minimized) while online. When I'm ready to go offline, I first close OE, then I go offline. A few minutes ago, I rebooted, then I went online and went to OE, and it came up just fine. Does all this mean anything to you? P.S.: Thanks for all your attempts to figure this out.

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!