1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE doesn't send mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pons, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi, when I tray to send mail usin OE I get this message:

--------------------------------------------------------
    -The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'new tray', Account: 'ardom.co.il', Server: 'ardom.co.il', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Relaying is prohibited', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
    -------------------------------------------------------

Im using win98se IE 5.5
    I have recently installed TPF firewall in my system, could it be something there interfering with the way OU works?
    Did I by mistake tick/untick something there? All the settings in OE look OK to me...
    Can somebody help me?
    sebastian pons

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Turn the firewall off and try it. Also check the email address to make sure it is correct or is this happening with all email addresses?

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Pons
    Try Doyces suggestion and if it works then.......
    Here is a nuts and bolts site explaining the "Tiny personal Firewall" configuration. Look through it an see if you blocked the
    address or group of addresses or even the port.

http://members.rogers.com/zyklon/tpf.html

Hope that helps
    Dave

4. pons

pons Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers.

First of all I uninstalled the firewall and tryed again OE to send (I don't have a problem receiving Email) the same message, with the same result. The adress is OK, I double checked it.

I have only 1 mail account in OE.

And I tryed to go to the link for TPF, ans as far as I understand things, my firewall was configured right.
    Which leads me to think that a) there is a problem with my ISP
    or b) there is a problem with OE. Corrupted etc...

If it is corrupted I don't know how to fix it, and using IE 5.5, I don't have the option of fixing IE.

Do you have any more sugestions?
    Thank you again
    sebastian pons

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Technical answer:

This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| <account name> Properties| Servers.

Follow the path above, are incoming and outgoing listed as the same? Is the box at the bottom for secure password authentication checked? Is the account name an all correct?

6. pons

pons Thread Starter

Well, thank you again but as it turned out I didn't have to do anything. Today I tryed again, and the messages went out strait away!
    I've written to my ISP informing them and I await their answer.
    Thank you again
    sebastian pons

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Sebastian
    It is very possible your ISP was having E-Mail server problems or another possiblity if this was a new Account you set up for yourself it takes sometimes a day to be recognized. Anyway glad its working. Please let us know what your ISP replies if they do.
    Dave

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Please do. :)

9. pons

pons Thread Starter

Well, The answer I got from my ISP was literally:

We are hapy to inform you that the worst of it is already behind us.

I send them a "pissed off" letter demanding a more clear answer.
    What I got:

The problems you experieced were caused by a change in the definitions of your account. We did this to improve our service and we regret any inconvenience...etc...etc...

Se there we are, none the wiser.
    I did send them a very strong protest, but I don't expect any answer from them, at least not a clear one

Thank you for your help and interest in my problem
    sebastian pons

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice