1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE Double Hotmail Messages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Georgieboi, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Georgieboi

Georgieboi Thread Starter

Hi gang,

Actually, I have two issues. First is that I use Outlook Express 6 connected to my Hotmail account. Invariably two copies of each message header appears. What to do?

Second, in an attempt to control spam, I have created several message rules that are supposed to delete messages I don't care to read. It seems that OE simply ignores these rules and posts the message header anyway, notwithstanding my message rules. What to do?

Thanks again TSG for undoubtedly the best site on the web...

George :D

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

3. Georgieboi

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I guess double Hotmail messages in OE are a bug in need of a fix by Microsoft.

As to the message rules issue, I cannot find any other references in this forum. But thanks for tyrying. Hope you can find a solution....

George :)

4. Deke40

Deke40

5. Deke40

Deke40

Georgieboi

Also found this:

Why does OE show duplicate messages in Hotmail or IMAP account?
    That can happen if your Hotmail or IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both. Click Tools | Options, then remove the check mark for "When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder" OR the check mark for "Send and receive messages at startup". If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools | Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.

6. Deke40

Deke40

Georgieboi

This is all I can find so far on you second problem:

Why don't my message rules work?
    The most common cause of rules not working properly is due to a misunderstanding of how rules work. When a message first arrives, it is checked against the first rule in the list, then the second, then the third, etc. until it encounters the end of the list or the Action "stop processing more rules". This means that a message may be a hit for more than one rule! Not only that, a rule may specify more than one action (except those actions which stop the message from being downloaded at all). OE4 stopped processing rules automatically as soon as a message was a hit. If you install OE as an upgrade and select to import rules, many of your rules will stop working until you add "stop processing more rules" to the list of Actions in that rule.

If you use a rule that moves a message to another folder, that rule must include "stop processing more rules" in order for the move to occur. Without the stop action, the message is checked against the rule, found to be a hit, but then is checked against all following rules. In order to be tested against rules, the message must remain in the Inbox, and so the desired move never occurs.

Another consideration is the order in which rules appear in the list. If a rule does not work, it is often a simple matter of moving the rule higher so that it is processed before other rules.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Deke,
    I wanted to just interrupt for a second to say thanks. I had doubles in my Hotmail forever and had long ago given up on finding a resolution. After alot of research, I thought I was stuck. Doubles are extremely annoying.

Until you found the answer and it worked perfectly.

This one:

Thank you. This is great.

Mo

EDIT:
    Deke,
    I just noticed you are from Texas. I hope everything is OK with you. The Floods there are horrible.

8. Deke40

Deke40

Your welcome.

9. Deke40

Deke40

Mosiac l

Just now saw your Edit. The floods are west of me. I'm 60 miles south of Houston. Thanks for the thought.

10. Georgieboi

My double message issue has been resolved. Since I took advice from both Deke and Mosaic I am not sure which thing cured my problem.

Still unresolved is the issue of OE ignoring message rules.

Thanks again guys...

George :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/85867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice