OE Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dsquared

And there have been several, from not sending unless I reboot to not displaying in the preview pane. Those two problems haven't been as much of a problem since I purged some folders and created new ones but they still crop up now and then.

Right now what's happening are two other things:

1. Some (but not all) emails that come with attachments do not indicate that there is an attachment in the Inbox window. In other words, there's no paper clip icon in that column. As an example, I just received an email with several jpegs attached. No paper clip in the Inbox window. However there is a paper clip in the preview window and of course when opened, all the attachments are there and available.

2. All emails sent to me in HTML are arriving with the body of the email as an HTML attachment. It's as if my OE doesn't handle HTML. Emails sent in plain text arrive with no attachment.

These two are fairly new problems. Is it time to uninstall and reinstall OE? Don't I have to uninstall and reinstall IE to do that? I hope it isn't necessary but if it is, can I still get to all my previous emails?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Some (but not all) emails that come with attachments do not indicate that there is an attachment in the Inbox window. In other words, there's no paper clip icon in that column. As an example, I just received an email with several jpegs attached. No paper clip in the Inbox window. However there is a paper clip in the preview window and of course when opened, all the attachments are there and available.
Firstly, I would NOT be using Preview Pane. It's a security risk. In OE --> Tools --> Options --> Security tab --> make sure "Do not allow attachments to be saved..." and "Block images and other external content..." are NOT checked.

2. All emails sent to me in HTML are arriving with the body of the email as an HTML attachment. It's as if my OE doesn't handle HTML. Emails sent in plain text arrive with no attachment.
In OE --> Tools --> Options --> Read tab --> make sure "Read all messages in plain text" is NOT checked.

These two are fairly new problems. Is it time to uninstall and reinstall OE? Don't I have to uninstall and reinstall IE to do that? I hope it isn't necessary but if it is, can I still get to all my previous emails?
Are these problems just cropping up by themselves? Is your Windows fully patched and up-to-date? Have you run your updated anti-virus and anti-spyware applications lately? OE is one of the most stable, reliable programs I've ever used. In my experience, it's very unusual for things to just go bonkers all by themselves. Have you done anything, d-loaded any new applications, made any changes on your system lately, etc?

Dsquared

Well, how dumb am I? I did have "Read all messages in plain text " checked. I don't know how it happened. I didn't intentionally make the change and no one else uses this computer.
As for the other part. "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened...etc" was not checked. I do not seem to have an option "Block images and other external content..."
The other options I have there are: "Warn me when other applications tey to send email as me" It is checked. There are two options under "Select the Internet Explorer Security Zone to use" "Restricted Sites Zone (More Secure)" was checked. I changed it to "Internet Zone (Less secure but more functional)" I'll bet that makes more sense.

So what about "Block images and other external content..." ?

Thanks for the help.

You don't have a fully updated version of OE or Windows, for that matter, if you don't have the option about blocking images. Are you using XP Service Pack 2? If not, you should be. And yes, turning up the security settings in OE will definitely restrict content.

Hope this helped you.

~Eric

Dsquared

I'm running Windows Me. It's as up to date as it can be. I'll give it a try with the new settings.

Thanks again.

Ah! I apologize for assuming.

Let me also express my condolences on the fact that you're using ME. ;)

I've had very, very little experience with ME, Dsquared, so you might be better off waiting for another member with some more extensive ME/OE experience to come along here and offer some suggestions.

I'll keep an eye out here and see what turns up with your situation.

Luck!

~Eric

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online