OE Problems!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yourstruly76

I had installed Outlook 2002 and all was well with our family email accounts (3 of them). Then today I tried to close out and open my profile to get into my email and the stupid thing would only immediately open the previous profile I was in with no profile prompt box.

I got so frustrated I ended up uninstalling Outlook 2002 and removing all profiles/email accounts and have tried to start over using whatever Outlook is loaded onto my Dell 9150 XP home edition.

1.) Is there anyway to go and retrieve from those other profiles somewhere the existing emails that were there previously before it went defunct?

2.) How do you tell what version of this Outlook crap is on your computer?

I know most likely it is operator error, but I don't know what I did and where I did it. I'd rather not use Outlook, but when I click on other links on the web to email, I never can and have to end up cutting and pasting the stupid address and then going to my isp page to get into that email before I can respond/send any emails. UGGGH! Is there any alternative or easier way to navigate through this Outlook stuff?

Thanks for any help.
-Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear you're having such an aggravating time with Outlook. Let me ask you a few questions here:

1) Your thread title states "OE Problems", yet in your post you're speaking of Outlook 2000. Which program are you using? Outlook Express and Outlook are two entirely different programs. OE is just an email client. Outlook is an MS Office application with calendar, notes, tasks, etc. Which one are you having the problems with?

2) You state "...I ended up uninstalling Outlook 2002 and removing all profiles/email accounts...". If this is the case, I would venture to say that the emails and other settings you had set up are now toast. :(

If you don't use any of the calendar, notes, tasks functions of Outlook, then I would suggest that you use Outlook Express as your default email client. It's a much slimmer/trimmer application.

As for finding out what versions of a program you're running, with most applications, just pull down the HELP menu at the top and choose "About". This will usually pop-up a version info box for you.

yourstruly76

Ok, I am using MS Outlook. That's what I keep having problems with. I am using it because I sync the calendar and contacts with my ipaq (which I also need to learn how to use fully :)
I thought all of my settings and messages would be toast, but still held out hope.

Ok, when I do the help, about choices I get a box that pops up and says:
Microsoft Outlook 2002. But then when I choose 'system info' there are choices with subchoices and when I click on 'Office 2003 Applications' there is a choice of 'Microsoft Office Outlook 2003'. Now I am totally 'cornfused' am I running 2002 or 2003.

Hope this helps you, 'cause it certainly doesn't help me!

Thanks,
Rachel

Heh! WOW! Well, I'm NOT an Outlook expert, that's for sure.

Outlook is an application packaged with MS Office. Do you have two versions of Office on your system? Looks like you might. Maybe you upgraded from '02 to '03 at one time? Also, do you have the actual disks, or is this pre-installed baloney that came with your computer?

Sorry, I'm not being a little more helpful here. As I said, Outlook is not my cup o' tea. Maybe a more experienced Outlook user will jump in here to assist you.

~Eric

yourstruly76

Well actually when I got this new Dell, I never did do the little tour thing and decided to go ahead and load on my own XP student/teacher discs that I had on my laptop. Do you think that's where the problems are coming from? I thought since Dell sent it with the 'pre-installed' XP Home edition I would have to load my own MS Word, Excel, etc.
Was that incorrect? Did this already have it on here and I went and screwed everything up? Can I or should I uninstall the XP studend/teacher version I loaded on here myself?
Thanks for your help!

Hi again, Rachel...

I'm a little reluctant to advise you further because I don't want you doing anything to your system at my behest that may screw things up worse for you. :(

As to what your Dell came with? Well, it's hard to say what your originally Dell came with. Different Dell systems are offered with different pre-installed software packages.

One thing I would do, though, is to go to the MS Office Update site and let it scan your system and properly update your Office software. Click on "Check for Updates" and have your Office disks available.

That would be a good start. :)

Also, if you haven't gone to the Windows Update (now known as "Microsoft Update") site lately and updated your Windows software, I highly recommend that you do so. Old, non-updated software is a security RISK!

Be aware, though... Microsoft may not properly update Windows products which are pirated (software you didn't actually buy).

After you've properly updated your Windows and your Office software, then you can attempt to set-up your accounts and preferences within Outlook.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online