1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE rarely is able to connect, though webmail works fine.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Stiltzkin, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I've been using Outlook Express for a long time. Recently it's been unable to connect to my incoming mail server about one in five times, but before it couldn't do it at all. However, it pretty much never is able to make a connection with my outgoing mail server. My webmail works just fine, so it isn't their servers. Nothing had been changed when the problem started or since then. I've looked over and over my account configurations and they all look good. I've even made a new account and it's the same problem. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong?

The error I get when trying to send mail is as follows:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '(the person's address)@aol.com'. Subject 'Re: Stuff', Account: 'PatMedia servers', Server: 'smtp.patmedia.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <(the person's address)@aol.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hello...

Have a look at this link...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813514&Product=oex

Not sure if it will help, but it is worth a look.

Also, does your provider require you to authenticate your outgoing mail also?

One more thing, it also looks like the ISP might not recognize your connection as being part of their network. I.e. If I am at a friends house, and try to send an email through his ISP, mine will reject it because I am not physically connecting through their network.

That would be... I sent it through ISP xyz.com, but my actual ISP is DDD.com and they rejected it because it shows the message originating from ISP xyz.com.

Also, webmail works TOTALLY different than actually POPing or SMTPing does. Just because you can use your webmail, does not mean that you can POP or SMTP. Webmail is designed for networks that don't allow message relaying. Thus, they block you from sending your emails from other places in the world, except at home on their own network.

Check out the link and let us know if any of this helps.

Have a great one...

Shane

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Most ISP's will now allow you to send mail to a recipient that needs to be relayed. This is exactly what the error refers to. Likely the same thing would be happening with the full version of Outlook.

Also, quoting some other sites:

"SMTP error 554: Rejected. Possible SPAM/virii
    This error message is sent to original sender during SMTP transaction in case our server determines that the message contains keywords and/or links and/or headers consistent with local blacklists."

"Error 554 is returned from the remote server you are trying to send to. It could not process the message you sent because of one or more of the following reasons:

- The Recipient Mailbox has a problem.
    - The Recipient Mailbox was part of a Mailing List and is no longer on that list.
    - It could not validate your Security Level if you are using Encrypted e-mail.
    - The message was malformed along the way during transport.
    - The remote server has an Internal Error."

4. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I disabled my firewall and antivirus to no avail. I'm still finding out if my ISP requires authentication. However, I never knew the thing about an ISP rejecting a message because it's being middle-manned by another ISP. That would make sense, since I'm on whatever network my college uses now......
    So should I call my ISP and ask them about it, or is there some way to get around it, cuz that sounds like it might be the problem. However, I was having problems BEFORE I moved here, so I still want to try other things. I want to reinstall OE, but I want to backup all my mail first. Where is it stored? I can't find it... I tried exporting it from OE, but it gave me an error: "An error occured while initializing MAPI". Also, sorry, but how can I reinstall OE once I've got my messages backed up? Does it come on the XP Home disc?

5. jakob

jakob

I'm having almost the exact same problem. When I first moved out to college, my Outlook worked fine- I could receive and send e-mails and everything was peaceful. Then, a couple months ago, I stopped being able to send e-mail. The same error message comes up (a couple of the numbers are different-server error:550, but it's the same idea). I've done the firewall thing, tried turning off Norton, authenticating the SMTP, talking to the people at RoadRunner, etc. and nothing has been working for me either.

And when I tried deleting and reinstalling OE/IE, I just drag and dropped my important e-mails straight out the program and onto a jump drive. I assume it would work the same way onto a disk or CD, too, though?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure if we don't have two people's problems on the same thread at this point.

For the last one, a 550 error, is also because of trying to relay. The server does not recognize the senders email address as being valid.

7. jakob

jakob

Ohh, okay, sorry if they are two different problems. Their description of their problem matched what was happening with mine, so I figured it was the same.

Stiltzkin- From the error message, it looks like you're using your old SMTP as the outgoing server... have you tried switching that to whatever your school uses? I'm pretty sure that most, if not all schools require you to use their SMTP server in order to send mail.

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Just to help> the server settings are found here in OE 6:

Open OE> Tools> Options> Accounts>Mail tab>Properties>Servers> check the servers you have for POP and SMTP.

Write down the one used at home or wherever you connected from before...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice