1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE removing attachements from email

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alicatt, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

Hello:

I have noticed recently that anytime someone sends me attachments, OE removes them for security reasons. I know for a fact that the attachement is ok. I know that I didn't configure OE to do this. I am puzzled. Does anyone have any ideas?. I have Outlook Express Version 6.

Thansk for your help.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

OE does not remove attachments, otherwise there would be a setting you could change.

With OE open click the Tools menu; Point to Options; Click the Security tab; Clear the checkbox next to 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus'; Click Apply; Click Ok. There is no other option than this to deny access to attachments in Outlook Express. Restricted sites [More Secure] should be checked.

It is possible some attachments are not readable by you because the attachment is corupt and/or because the software necessary to read the attachments is not loaded on your computer that was used by the sender to compose the attachment.

Let the forum know if this herlps by responding within this thread.

3. RandyG

RandyG

One of the latest OE updates will block "unsafe" attachments.

This is a feature I would not recommend trying to get around.

Simply tyell whomever sent you the attchment, to resend it, but in a zipped format.

This type of blocking generally affects .exe attachments, and scripts.

4. cnm

cnm

OE also inactivates .zip files. But easy enough to temporarily change option setting, save the attachment, then put back the protection.

5. RandyG

RandyG

I don't use OE6, and now I know why.

I was reading some of the other posts, and it seems that OE6 instituted that new "safety" measure. It is the one that Styxx referred to above.

Sorry for my mistake!

6. cnm

cnm

But RandyG,

No one has to use the option. I like it myself. Look at email, see that it's a file I sent to myself or was expecting from a friend, turn off option, get file, turn back on.

There's no urgent need to use it, if you have a good AV that scans your email. I like to have a couple layers of defence, though; overkill tends to beat underkill :cool:

Tools->Options->Security-> Uncheck "Do not allow..."

(added OE 6 menu navigation)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!