1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6 - Allow Bcc Only for a Group?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cwwozniak, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    In Outlook Express 6, is there any way to force a particular address book group to only be put into the Bcc field when composing a new message? We would like to send price change notifications as an attachment to a list of existing customers that have requested these updates. We need to avoid someone here accidentally revealing our customer list to other customers by putting the group in the "To" or "cc" field. We also want to make sure a customer does not accidentally reveal confidential information to their competitor by replying with a "Reply All".

We are using POP3/SMTP access to the mail server on our hosting company.

I am open to suggestions for other methods or software applications besides OE that will give us the same results.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I found some old reviews and download link for a program called "Outlook Express Group Mail 1.0" . It is supposed to be 30 day trial shareware but I am not sure if the publisher is still around. Their web site seems to be down or gone.

2. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Nothing in the normal way. That shareware you found would be great,
    if it was still available.

Only other thing I can think of, is a macro/VB program/script that would
    automate that process. I have never come across any type of plug-in
    that is ready made.

Obviously, there are all sorts of macros - this is just one program for
    an example.

http://www.techbyter.com/2007/20070520.shtml

This might be an example of a program to give OE special code. Not
    sure if this is only for Vista or XP as well.
    However, I about fell over at the price! :eek:

http://www.fulldownloads.org/downloads/Addin_Express_2008_for_Outlook_Express_2008-65224.html

BINGO?
    Shareware - Send Personally
    Download link is good.

http://send-personally-for-outlook-express.mapilab-ltd.qarchive.org/

3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found a stand alone program called "GroupMail 5" that addresses the problem of accidentally divulging the mailing list to each recipient. I forwarded the page link to the manager that requested the original Bcc only setting in OE6. The free version of the program may be good enough for his purposes.

Unless, someone finds a better solution, I'll mark this topic solved in a couple of days.

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

Sounds good. Doesn't seem like it works in OE...rather it is
    an independant SMTP program. ?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, it is a stand a lone mailing program and not an add on for OE. That would be an alternate choice to the preferred method of having something added to OE. I have warned the manager that a free or low cost OE add on is not very likely to be found. I don't think they like the idea of buying development software for creating an add-on that will do what they want either.

From what I have read about it, the program I found can work through the user's existing account on an SMTP mail server or it can run as a SMTP server and send mail out directly to the recipients' mail servers.

6. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

One good point...says you can load your email adresses from OE.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice