1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6 - Can't convert my .bak files to .dbx

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ukuleleboy, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ukuleleboy

ukuleleboy Thread Starter

Am trying to restore emails deleted on compacting files in OE6. They are currently saved on my desktop as 'Inbox.dbx.bak'. This occurred when I tried renaming the file .bak to .dbx. Apparently I can't shake the .bak tag.

I believe this is complicated by the fact that I run AutoCADlt and it uses .bak as a drawing backup and it defaults any .bak to an AutoCADlt file.

If I right-click on the file and open Properties is it named 'Inbox.dbx' but if I double-click on the icon to try and open it the name is 'Inbox.dbx.bak'. The icon is also the AutoCADlt icon.

Any suggestions?

Running XP on a PC clone.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

This MS note shows how to restore the BAK files.

In order to rename the files correctly, go to Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View and UNselect "Hide Extensions for Known File Types".

3. ukuleleboy

ukuleleboy Thread Starter

That worked great! The file now is just 'Inbox.dbx'. I tried importing back in but they didn't show up. When I look at the properties of the file it says, "Opens with: Unknown application" Could that be a problem?

Thanks

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The MS note says nothing about "importing".

What you need to do is determine the folder where the file "should" be, and then just copy it over.
    The procedure itself, is doing nothing more than a "restore" out of the recycle bin, which I "presume" you have already done and somehow moved the file to your desktop?

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi ukuleleboy

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

You will need to save the Folders.dbx file in the same folder/directory as the Inbox.dbx file to complete the Import.

Was there a Folders.dbx.bak file in the Recycle Bin?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice