1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6: Compact vs Defrag

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by KMA367, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMA367

KMA367 Thread Starter

Using OE6 with WinXP SP2. Have my OE store on its own 6GB partition, which is now about 40% free space.

My "problem" is that defrag and Compact seem to be at exact cross-purposes with each other for OE. When I recently resized the partition from 4.5 GB to 6 GB it was finally able to defrag completely, which it hadn't been for a long time.

I suspected before, and now I'm seeing for sure, that doing the "Compact All Folders" will significantly fragment the drive - like to 70% of its files. I keep my inbox fairly small, and use a number of subfolders for both chronological and subject-related email files.

Any suggestions about how to handle this? OE opens and functions very quickly when it's defragged, but after compacting it gets sluggish again. Should I just turn of the "Compact" nag warning and use defragging to keep it running smooth? TIA.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi KMA367

Compacting and defragging are two different things. Compact your folders in Outlook Express first, then defragment the computer.

Let us know if that makes a difference or not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice