1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6 does not show Sender's email address in FROM field

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by marie500, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

The emails I receive in OE6 show only the Sender's name in the FROM field. The Sender's email address is not shown anywhere. I don't have many Contacts (like 3 or 4) and so I thought OE6 was using the nicknames I'd given them in my Address Book, because they are my Contacts. But I've received mail from various people not on my Contacts list, and the FROM field just says their User name for their email account.

If "[email protected]" sent me an email, I would see:

FROM Joe
    The email address is not displayed anywhere.

It's funny, because my own email address shows up completely in the TO field.

What do I have to do to view the Sender's address? Right now the only way I can email people is to Reply to an email they've sent, even if it's a completely different topic and it's three months later!
    (And only their User name is in the TO field, so I don't know where I'm replying to.)

2. RandyG

RandyG

While you have the mail open, double-click on Joe's name in the From box. This will open up a contact window which will display thge email address. basically, they have set their email account to display their name instead of their address.

Now, I usually have an Option ticked to save people who I have replied to in my Address book. In the main Window of OE, go to Tools, Options, send tab. make sure there is a tick in Automatically put people I reply to in my Address Book This means you do not have to manually select who you want in your Address Book. However, if you want to manually add someone to your Address Book, then right-click the name in the From box and select Add to Address Book which will open a contact form. Clicking OK on that form adds the entry to your Address Book.

To change how your email is displayed to others, go to Tools, Accounts, Mail tab and double-click the account you want to change. On the Genereal tab, in the User informations ection, put what ever you want in the Name box, and that is what will be displayed instead of your email address.

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Randy, thanks, it works! That shows me the hidden addresses. That's great!

Since you mentioned it....I would like to put some people in the Address Book, but they are people I just want to keep handy and would email them rarely, like my daughter's teacher or a neighbor. I don't want them on my Contacts list, which appears on the screen. I just want a nice, short, easy Contacts list with the few people I email a lot. If I put these various random people in my Address Book, they're also put on my Contacts list, making it long and involved and not convenient. Are the Address Book and Contacts list really the same thing? Is there a way to seperate them?

And I see now how to edit my own name on outgoing mail. That is also news to me, thanks, you've helped a lot!

4. RandyG

RandyG

The Contacts Can be different to the Address Book, but you will not be able to use both. you have an option to use a Windows Address Book(wab) that can share you contacts with other applications, or use a specific contacts folder to store only contacts for OE. You can not use both options, as far as I know. To change this option, you open the Address Book, go to Tools, Options and select which one you want.

If you want to keep your Contacts List short and sweet, then do not turn on the automatic option, but you can add the ones you do want.

I used to keep a contact list in Excel, and Word, and Works, depending on which program I had at the time. Since an email written down in one of the programs usually becomes a Link, it is a great place to store contact details for infrequent communications.

5. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

My Address Book Tools menu only shows "Accounts" and "Action," The Action menu shows Send Mail, Internet Call, and Dial. I looked in the main OE6 Tools menu and don't see anthing there about the automatic option.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice