1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6, neglected to check "Leave a copy of messages on server"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by djeddieo.com, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djeddieo.com

djeddieo.com Thread Starter

I wish I knew then what I know now; that all I needed to do was check "Leave a copy of messages on server"; Now that my entire Inbox has been emptied from the server into my OE Local Folders Inbox, is there a way to put copies BACK onto the server? Also, some side questions that seem related, at least to a noob like me:
    * what about all the other folders I'd set up on the server? how do I get THOSE emails to be copied into OE?
    * will emails I send from OE show up in Sent Items on the server?
    * Can I change the name "Local Folders" to reflect the name of my other account?

Thanks for any help!

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi djeddieo.com and welcome to TSG.

No. The default folders can't be renamed. You can create a subfolder and a message rule to direct the messages from the other account into it.

If you put a copy of them in the Inbox, they will be downloaded to OE as new mail.

No.

You could forward them to yourself. It would cause problems sorting them, however, because they would all be from you. Plus the server should be cleaned out once in a while to avoid reaching the storage limit that your ISP imposes.
    I'm guessing you just want to have a backup of your Inbox and Sent items. Simple thing would be to copy your Message Store folder and burn it to CD or copy it to an external drive.

I hope that answers your questions. If you need help doing any of it, just ask.
    T.

3. djeddieo.com

yeah, that would be unacceptable; is it possible to "un-import" from OE, i.e. send them BACK to the server? (then I could do the import process again but check the "save copy" box)
    I have a few email accounts, most basically on exchange servers; aren't all those messages stored on someone else's server, i.e. why would MY ISP be involved?
    no, I want to be able to access these emails from more than just my home PC. until I decided to try OE, I could work anywhere: home, the office, the library, my cellphone....
    The primary reason I decided to try OE was that I switched ISPs, and the old one (Verizon) had an email application that I used for my Hotmail (OT, I'm still working on converting my old MSN sent items into something OE can deal with). I opened OE, entered my Hotmail email address and password somewhere, and POOF!: all of the hotmail-server emails - in 14 folders I'd set up - all assembled themselves in OE, while all still being viewable at Hotmail.com (and therefore in my cellphone...or the library, for that matter). Since I have some issues with one of my work email apps (Netfirms Webmail, which they identify as "SquirrelMail 1.4.4"), I thought it might work better for me in OE, but I kinda expected the same magic simplicity of setup I got with Hotmail.

4. throoper

Unfortunately, once the messages have been downloaded to OE and the server has been cleared, there's no way to "reverse Import" them.
    They have to be sent to yourself so they come into the server as new mail.
    You could add the original sender to the subject line and use that as a way to sort them.
    Other than that, I don't have any suggestions.

On the Storage limits, I was thinking the mailbox was at your ISP (for instance, Verizon has 250MB of storage before they start dumping things to make room for new mail) but that may not apply in your case.

To keep mail from different accounts separated, if using rules to direct it doesn't appeal to you, you could set up a new Identity for each account.

Sorry I don't have any better answers for you. :(
    T.

5. djeddieo.com

any reason it worked so differently with Hotmail, folders-wise?

6. throoper

I think it's because Hotmail is MSN. Something to do with Messenger I think, but I'm not sure.
    Windows Mail will use separate folders for different accounts instead of using Identities as OE does.
    Windows Live Mail is already being recommended as a replacement, though.
    It might be worth checking it out as I think it would be more like what you want.
    T.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!