1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6 question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by faeriegroves, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faeriegroves

faeriegroves Thread Starter

Was trying to "clean up" old emails by deleting, seemed easy enough, then later came back to find my entire inbox had been deleted! Searched your forums, and did the .dbx extract, which worked.... so now I have to get those emails back in OE. My question is: since I previously had most emails in "folders" by subject, is there anyway to get those emails back in their correct folder automatically, or will that have to be done manually? Also, I have almost 400 "Mail Rules" so when receiving, emails go into their correct folder. I thought maybe that could help get my emails sorted correctly, but it doesn't appear to work that way!

Is there a way to "sort" the recovered emails, before dragging to OE? They are now sorted alphabetically, which helps a little, but not much.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi faeriegroves and welcome to TSG.

You should be able to drag and drop the eml's you generated from DBXtract into any folder you want and then run your filters on that folder to send them to their respective destinations.

But that said, if you used DBXtract on the Inbox.dbx to recover it's contents, any messages you recovered had to still be in the Inbox and had not been moved by rules when they were received.

3. faeriegroves

thanks for the reply, though I'm not sure what you mean by filters..... or how to use them in OE. Are you referring to the "Sort by" (on the drop down from the View tab) ?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Sorry. I'm a Thunderbird user and "filters" are what they call "Rules" in TB. Same thing though.

In OE, click Tools>Message Rules>Mail.
    Click the "Apply Now..." button and an "Apply Mail Rules Now" window will open.
    Click Select All to highlight all the listed rules.
    Click the "Browse" button at the end of the "Apply to folder" line and select the folder that you put the eml's into and then click "Apply Now".

That will run the Rules on the folder you selected and should send everything to where the rules are set to send them.

The Message Rules in OE automatically apply to the incoming messages in the Inbox, but can also be applied to other folders using the above method.

5. faeriegroves

oh thank you so much! will let you know how it all goes....eventually :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice