1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OE6 won't send but no error

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by shadow4md, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow4md

shadow4md Thread Starter

:confused:
    I am having a problem with OE6 not sending emails. It goes through the motions of sending, the details show that OE is connecting to the IPS's smtp server and sending. OE then moves the message to the sent items folder but the email does not get to the recipient. No errors come up at any time.

I don't think the problem is with the account as I used the ISP's web client and was able to send.

This Win98SE machine just had IE and OE upgraded to 6 within the last week. AVG 7 anti-virus was also installed at that time.The user is not sure if the problem began before or after the upgrade.

There is no problems with receiving or any other OE functions. I compared OE and AVG setting with another working machine and all settings were identical and seemed correct. This machine is connected directly to the ISP's DSL modem. There is no router or firewall.

Any ideas?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi shadow4md

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Verify you have Show Hidden files and folders enabled:
    Open Windows Explorer,
    View > Folder Options > View tab,
    Verify that Show hidden files and folders is checked.
    Apply, OK, to save and close.

With Outlook Express closed:

Start > Find > Files and Folders
    in the Find Field:
    key in:
    *.dbx
    be sure to include the asterick.
    in the "Look in" field make sure your "C" drive or main harddrive is selected, click on Find Now.

Locate the Outbox.dbx file and rename it Outbox.old

Open Outlook Express and test.

Let us know what happens.

3. shadow4md

shadow4md Thread Starter

Hello... Sorrry for the delay. The machine is not mine and I was unable to look at it for a few days.

Anyway... I did what you suggested and it didn't work. However after some poking around, I think I've found the problem. The user recently upgraded to AVG7 (free version) and as it scans outgoing email, it is placing them in que folder and holding them. Once I disabled the email plugin, all the emails were sent. According the AVG forums there is a MS Outlook plugin that the user did not install.

But thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated... (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice