1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OEM Disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mat1250, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mat1250

Mat1250 Thread Starter

Are OEM disk important if I want to repair other peoples computers? If so why?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would say they are important to use because if you have to use the COA product code a retail version wont work when it comes time for it to be activated.it wont accept the product key thats on the computer.if you are working on a dell then use a dell oem or if its an hp an hp oem etc because it recognizes the unique motherboard configuration of each computer.thats the way ive always understood it anyway. if someone has a better explaination im sure they will have a better answer.

3. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Just my two cents but I would say no. Firstly because OEM (HP, Dell, Toshiba etc etc) just come with a bunch of bloatware (trial programs etc.). The only things you need to work on others computers are startup disk, system disks (OS), diagnostic software, and some anti-virus. OEMs don't seem to provide much in terms of making the actually computer work. All a computer needs is a hard drive, video card, power supply, motherboard, RAM, sound card, network card and a BIOS and you should be able to get it up and running after getting the OS installed.

Cheers!

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have dell oems and all they have on them is the operating system nothing else.They dont even have the drivers on them.on the other hand when ive used restore/recovery disks which takes it back to the way it was when it left the factory then you get all of the stuff that was put on there originally that you may or may not want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice