1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OEM Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Devane, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

I have been looking on the internet to buy the least costly Microsoft Word for my neighbor. In so doing, I have found Microsoft Word at prices varying form $29.99 to $ 44.00 for OEM (original Equipment Manufacturer). The non-OEM versions are much more expensive. What are the pros and cons of buying the OEM version, other than the updating and support would be very limited, or none at all. All my neighbor wants is the program He had tried a friends which was a 1999/2000 version, and said that this program was just what he wanted to write letters, etc.
    He does not like Works, which came with his ME. He says it is inflexible as far as doing what he wants to do.

I am inclined to suggest the OEM version to him, but need to tell him exactly what he is up against, if anything.

Anmybody, help, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. RandyG

RandyG

There is no difference, usually, except that OEM versions might be tailored to the specific company that is selling them, meaning that graphics, or Help inof may have that companies info, instead of Microsoft's.

It also could mean that the particular version of Windows you are purchasing is meant only for distrubution with a new PC, like from Gateway, Dell, Compaq, etc. that would mean you are pourchasing an illegal copy, asd it is not meant to be sold on it's own, and is only meant to be used on the PC it was sold with.

Take a look at what Microsoft has to say on this issue

3. kbstoikop

kbstoikop

before buying word there are some freeware processors that would be an improvement over works

abiword is one

http://www.abisource.com/

3.9mb download

4. Devane

Devane Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I did some more research on the web and to address the issue of illegality, there was a lawsuit regarding the purchase of Adobe OEM software, (which would be the same as purchasing Microsoft Word OEM) which seems to rule that this is not illegal:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5628

Also, you are correct in saying there is no difference, and the only "against" that I can see is that there would be no phone support. You can register the product as you would any other software you would buy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice