OEM parttion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dishank

I bought a new laptop today with ubuntu.
while installing win 7 i deleted my OEM partition.
it was showing 300 mb bt after deleting it, it gave me approx 200 gb.
did i do wrong?
please help.
wat should i do..

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

An OEM Partition is just a partition set aside by whoever made your laptop and it usually holds recovery information to restore your computer to factory-default (a.k.a. "brand new).

1 hard drive can have multiple partitions. A Windows Example (Not to scale!):
100MB = Windows reserved
200GB = Windows ("C: Drive")
50GB = OEM/Recovery partition

Linux example (Not to scale!):
512MB = /boot
1GB = Swap
200GB = / (root fs)
300MB = OEM Partition

When installing an OS from scratch, the Installer (in your case, Windows install CD) looks at the HD as a whole. When you delete a partition, it "merges" the partition space into another partition or leaves it blank.

It sounds like that's exactly what happened here. It merged the 300MB (0.3GB) with your system partition to make it 200GB total. The 300MB OEM partition is permanently gone. There's nothing wrong with this, it just means you don't have access to whatever that partition did or held.

Personally, since I don't depend on OEM partitions or help-support from the OEM and prefer to have ALL HD space available to me, I'll specifically do whatever I can to erase the OEM/Recovery partitions on my computers.

Hope this helps! :)

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Show us a disk and partition map using the disk management tool so we can see what is there now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online