1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OEM vs. Full Verison OS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by robert2513, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robert2513

robert2513 Thread Starter

Hi.

Is is better to own an OEM verison of an OS (i.e. Windows XP) or the Full Retail Verison? The reason I am asking is that I am looking to purchase items to build a new computer and the site I am looking at mwave.com sells OEM verisons of Windows XP.

Thanks.
    Robert2513

2. ezymony

ezymony

I got my oem xp home from newegg $94 I am very happy with it.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There is no difference between OEM and full retail apart from the price.

The limitation with OEM is in the licence, in that you cannot sell the software without also selling the hardware with which it was purchased.

OEM has a significant price advantage, and its unlikely you would want to sell it on its own anyway. That makes OEM the better purchase usually.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

IF your building it: OEM. If your building it to sell: Not OEM.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Why?
    As long as you are selling it with the OS installed, thats what OEM is for.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One point about OEM disks. Most are the same as the regular distribution, but some, like Dell supplied media, only work on a Dell computer. They look for a Dell hardware configuration, probably the BIOS, and only install if they find it. Just a point to consider... :)

7. Rockn

Rockn

In my experience the plain jane non-branded OEM versions are better. They give you better installation options without all the wizards and other useless stuff.

8. hewee

hewee

That was how it was on my old IBM Aptiva and to get to the files on your own you needed a password but everyone knew the passwords. :D But not all of the models had it where the Windows 95 or 98 had a install file for the OS. I think I did have the install.exe on my Aptiva 2159-S78 but never tried it. Came with 95a so was not wanting to get it.

9. robert2513

robert2513 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't know if there was something "less" about OEM software vs. Retail (i.e. less or scaled down features)

Thanks again.
    Robert2513

10. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

naw the only thing you get from retail version is a box you throw away booklet that you will end up not reading any way

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice