OEM vs. Full Verison OS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robert2513

Hi.

Is is better to own an OEM verison of an OS (i.e. Windows XP) or the Full Retail Verison? The reason I am asking is that I am looking to purchase items to build a new computer and the site I am looking at mwave.com sells OEM verisons of Windows XP.

Thanks.
Robert2513

There is no difference between OEM and full retail apart from the price.

The limitation with OEM is in the licence, in that you cannot sell the software without also selling the hardware with which it was purchased.

OEM has a significant price advantage, and its unlikely you would want to sell it on its own anyway. That makes OEM the better purchase usually.

Whiteskin said:
IF your building it: OEM. If your building it to sell: Not OEM.
Why?
As long as you are selling it with the OS installed, thats what OEM is for.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
One point about OEM disks. Most are the same as the regular distribution, but some, like Dell supplied media, only work on a Dell computer. They look for a Dell hardware configuration, probably the BIOS, and only install if they find it. Just a point to consider... :)

In my experience the plain jane non-branded OEM versions are better. They give you better installation options without all the wizards and other useless stuff.

johnwill said:
One point about OEM disks. Most are the same as the regular distribution, but some, like Dell supplied media, only work on a Dell computer. They look for a Dell hardware configuration, probably the BIOS, and only install if they find it. Just a point to consider... :)
That was how it was on my old IBM Aptiva and to get to the files on your own you needed a password but everyone knew the passwords. :D But not all of the models had it where the Windows 95 or 98 had a install file for the OS. I think I did have the install.exe on my Aptiva 2159-S78 but never tried it. Came with 95a so was not wanting to get it.

robert2513

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't know if there was something "less" about OEM software vs. Retail (i.e. less or scaled down features)

Thanks again.
Robert2513

naw the only thing you get from retail version is a box you throw away booklet that you will end up not reading any way

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online