Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OEM vs. Full Verison OS

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  buddhafabio 
#1 ·
Hi.

Is is better to own an OEM verison of an OS (i.e. Windows XP) or the Full Retail Verison? The reason I am asking is that I am looking to purchase items to build a new computer and the site I am looking at mwave.com sells OEM verisons of Windows XP.

Thanks.
Robert2513

#3 ·
There is no difference between OEM and full retail apart from the price.

The limitation with OEM is in the licence, in that you cannot sell the software without also selling the hardware with which it was purchased.

OEM has a significant price advantage, and its unlikely you would want to sell it on its own anyway. That makes OEM the better purchase usually.

#6 ·
One point about OEM disks. Most are the same as the regular distribution, but some, like Dell supplied media, only work on a Dell computer. They look for a Dell hardware configuration, probably the BIOS, and only install if they find it. Just a point to consider... :)

#8 ·
johnwill said:
One point about OEM disks. Most are the same as the regular distribution, but some, like Dell supplied media, only work on a Dell computer. They look for a Dell hardware configuration, probably the BIOS, and only install if they find it. Just a point to consider... :)
That was how it was on my old IBM Aptiva and to get to the files on your own you needed a password but everyone knew the passwords. :D But not all of the models had it where the Windows 95 or 98 had a install file for the OS. I think I did have the install.exe on my Aptiva 2159-S78 but never tried it. Came with 95a so was not wanting to get it.

#10 ·
naw the only thing you get from retail version is a box you throw away booklet that you will end up not reading any way

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.