1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OEM XP Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DYNO, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DYNO

DYNO Thread Starter

The above is stated in the item description of Windows XP on NewEgg. How does Windows prove that the OS was installed on a machine with new components? Is there a process that I have to go through to verify that my components were recently purchased?

The reason I ask is that I have a new unformatted SATA Hard Drive that I want to install an OEM copy of XP on, but I don't have a receipt or any proof of purchase.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It won't affect the installation, only the sale of the OS. You should be able to activate so long as the same key is not used elsewhere. Some OEM's do not even require activation.

3. warhawk03

warhawk03

I was wondering the same thing. I got an older computer at a swap with a wiped hard drive, and I was curious to how much new equipment I need to add to this pc because I want to put Windows Media Center on it.

4. DYNO

DYNO Thread Starter

So basically the only restrictions apply when the pruchase is made...So once I have the CD in hand, it doesn't matter? Technically speaking then I could purchase a new PC parts, and install the OEM on another computer entirely.

Thanks, I just wondered how strict MS was with their OEM products.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The restriction is on the sale itself of used XP media. Hardware must include the sale (though not as much as listed). Once bought, you are all set.

6. The Hound

The Hound

An OEM version from Newegg means no support from Microsoft--the Original Equipment Manufacturer in this case is you, and the OEM (you) are responsible for all support.

This thread should start a lively debate about the merits and (more likely) evil qualities of the 'Devils from Redmond'.

My opinon (I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a H#$%day Inn Express once) is that if you install the software on one machine only, with the key on the COA in the package, and assume all liablility for support, you're complying with the EULA--you might read that thing, or ask a real lawyer what he thinks...

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's is always the support forums :-D

8. The Hound

The Hound

TSG is Esparantu for OEM...

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . Now there is an oxymoron if ever there was one . .

10. The Hound

The Hound

>>ZING>>>>Had to know that one was coming...

11. Lanesant

Lanesant

I recently bought Xp Media Oem. My computer came pre-installed with Xp media
    but I wanted the full version without all the garbage that comes with pre-installed.

I dont know much about OEM software. What happens if my current computer
    fails and I get a another one. Can I use the same OEM software on the new
    computer? Or will it be stuck on this machine?

Can anyone give me some much needed advice.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should start a new thread for your issue, but, yes, you can always use a copy of XP on a new machine. All you need do is call and tell them your story and let them know that the copy is no longer active on another machine.

They are very helpful to those who call, assuming, perhaps rightly, that the cheaters and criminals will probably not call them.

13. Lanesant

Lanesant

I appreciate your help. I was afraid the software would be married to this computer
    and one of these days then I need a new computer. And I like xp media center as I
    dont think that I'd ever go to vista. Thanks for your advice and in the future then I
    will start a new thread. I wasnt real sure where it belonged. Thanks again.

14. bbearren

bbearren

An OEM copy of Windows is married to the machine on which it is first installed. When the machine dies, the OEM license dies with it. An OEM version cannot be transferred to another machine, according to the EULA. If you want to be able to transfer the OS, then a retail version is required.

15. bbearren

bbearren

I've found that support from Microsoft borders on excellent. They called me back a number of times to check on my progress. I got at least a couple of emails every day, and they kept at it until the problems were solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice