OEM XP Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DYNO

Disclaimer: Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased.
The above is stated in the item description of Windows XP on NewEgg. How does Windows prove that the OS was installed on a machine with new components? Is there a process that I have to go through to verify that my components were recently purchased?

The reason I ask is that I have a new unformatted SATA Hard Drive that I want to install an OEM copy of XP on, but I don't have a receipt or any proof of purchase.

It won't affect the installation, only the sale of the OS. You should be able to activate so long as the same key is not used elsewhere. Some OEM's do not even require activation.

I was wondering the same thing. I got an older computer at a swap with a wiped hard drive, and I was curious to how much new equipment I need to add to this pc because I want to put Windows Media Center on it.

DYNO

Elvandil said:
It won't affect the installation, only the sale of the OS. You should be able to activate so long as the same key is not used elsewhere. Some OEM's do not even require activation.

So basically the only restrictions apply when the pruchase is made...So once I have the CD in hand, it doesn't matter? Technically speaking then I could purchase a new PC parts, and install the OEM on another computer entirely.

Thanks, I just wondered how strict MS was with their OEM products.

DYNO said:
So basically the only restrictions apply when the pruchase is made...So once I have the CD in hand, it doesn't matter? Technically speaking then I could purchase a new PC parts, and install the OEM on another computer entirely.

Thanks, I just wondered how strict MS was with their OEM products.
The restriction is on the sale itself of used XP media. Hardware must include the sale (though not as much as listed). Once bought, you are all set.

An OEM version from Newegg means no support from Microsoft--the Original Equipment Manufacturer in this case is you, and the OEM (you) are responsible for all support.

This thread should start a lively debate about the merits and (more likely) evil qualities of the 'Devils from Redmond'.

My opinon (I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a H#$%day Inn Express once) is that if you install the software on one machine only, with the key on the COA in the package, and assume all liablility for support, you're complying with the EULA--you might read that thing, or ask a real lawyer what he thinks...

I recently bought Xp Media Oem. My computer came pre-installed with Xp media
but I wanted the full version without all the garbage that comes with pre-installed.

I dont know much about OEM software. What happens if my current computer
fails and I get a another one. Can I use the same OEM software on the new
computer? Or will it be stuck on this machine?

Can anyone give me some much needed advice.

Lanesant said:
I recently bought Xp Media Oem. My computer came pre-installed with Xp media
but I wanted the full version without all the garbage that comes with pre-installed.

I dont know much about OEM software. What happens if my current computer
fails and I get a another one. Can I use the same OEM software on the new
computer? Or will it be stuck on this machine?

Can anyone give me some much needed advice.
You should start a new thread for your issue, but, yes, you can always use a copy of XP on a new machine. All you need do is call and tell them your story and let them know that the copy is no longer active on another machine.

They are very helpful to those who call, assuming, perhaps rightly, that the cheaters and criminals will probably not call them.

I appreciate your help. I was afraid the software would be married to this computer
and one of these days then I need a new computer. And I like xp media center as I
dont think that I'd ever go to vista. Thanks for your advice and in the future then I
will start a new thread. I wasnt real sure where it belonged. Thanks again.

Elvandil said:
You should start a new thread for your issue, but, yes, you can always use a copy of XP on a new machine. All you need do is call and tell them your story and let them know that the copy is no longer active on another machine.

They are very helpful to those who call, assuming, perhaps rightly, that the cheaters and criminals will probably not call them.

An OEM copy of Windows is married to the machine on which it is first installed. When the machine dies, the OEM license dies with it. An OEM version cannot be transferred to another machine, according to the EULA. If you want to be able to transfer the OS, then a retail version is required.

simpswr said:
. . Now there is an oxymoron if ever there was one . .
I've found that support from Microsoft borders on excellent. They called me back a number of times to check on my progress. I got at least a couple of emails every day, and they kept at it until the problems were solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online